Sunday, 3 April 2016

Try not to do this


The dangers of pilates! Clearly the various exercises performed in Friday morning's pilates session left my hands with a weakened grip!

Sharing an apr├Ęs-pilates lunch with Sue at a cycling/coffee shop in the village, I was about to tuck into my baked potato with bacon, brie and salad, swathed in chilli sauce, when I thought the meal would make a fine photo. The Panasonic LX100 was in my bag, and could have been used; but Demelza, my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, was actually there on the table - and so I used that instead for this very casual shot. Unwisely! As you can see, it slipped out of my feeble grip and plopped into my lunch! Getting liberally smeared with chilli sauce, of course.

We laughed! Now it really was a picture worth taking! So I got out the Panasonic. Which didn't slip from my tired hands. (I would have cried if it had)

The worst mess was quickly wiped from poor Demelza, but she was still a trifle sticky, so I wrapped her up in tissue, put her away in my bag, and washed her clean in lukewarm water once home. (The S5 is sufficiently waterproof to do that)

There's a moral here, of course: don't be lazy. If you have the proper device handy, get it out and use it, and don't press something less suitable into service.

And it's a judgement on the modern mobile phone, which an awful lot of people use as a substitute for a proper camera. It may take pretty good photos - this shot, for example, was taken yesterday evening on a friend's (admittedly rather expensive) iPhone 6S Plus, and (if you don't enlarge it too much) it shows commendable low-light sharpness, detail and skin tone. It has also captured the fun of the moment:


But to get that shot, the phone had to be propped up rather precariously. Whereas a 'real' camera would have no stability problems.

And, generally, taking handheld 'landscape' shots (with the long sides of the frame top and bottom) is awkward with a mobile phone of any kind. It's too thin. You can't guarantee a firm grasp, and there's no wrist strap to stop the thing being knocked out of one's fingers if one stumbles or is nudged. Is it surprising then that big slim phones do get dropped, sometimes onto concrete, unless one is very careful?

A 'bulky' camera never slithers out of the hand. It may be a challenge to carry it around at all times, but it's the proper beast for the job.

I have spoken.

1 comment:

  1. Phone, slippy to grip and rubbish camera except at parties. All noted for next time I am tempted...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford