Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Superfast Broadband arrives at Melford Hall

I've now got Superfast Broadband, some hours ahead of the promised time.

Well done, BT! No April Fooling there.

As measured on my Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile phone, using BT home Wi-Fi, I am getting speeds of about 37MB per second for downloads, and 9MB per second for uploads. The PC itself (connected using an Ethernet cable) is giving me almost exactly the same figures. I dare say - on past experience - that these Broadband speeds will become slightly less once things have settled down, but even so it'll still be pretty fast compared to what I had previously enjoyed on 'ordinary' Broadband - 10MB per second for downloads, and 0.7MB per second for uploads.

The main benefit to me will be when watching catch-up TV, using the BBC iPlayer on my tablet. No more hiccups in streaming. And, as previously explained, the entire new deal will cost me a little less than before. It's therefore something more for nothing more.

Beyond that, it hardly affects my life at present. (One day, especially if I buy a new TV - not a high priority - the Broadband speed may become very important indeed. But it'll be Ultrafast Broadband by then!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford