Thursday 1 January 2015

One million words

Another landmark event to start 2015 with! I have now written a million words on my blog!

Of course, given a few years, any reasonably prolific blogger eventually clocks up such a figure. Many must have. And 'a million words' isn't necessarily the same thing as 'a million words that gripped the nation, and inspired a generation'.

These are a million very personal words. They are not Great Literature. They are not intended to be. But they are certainly a monument to time spent tapping on the keyboard. Whether I wrote rubbish or pure gold, that total represents a lot of midnight oil burned.

And I will claim a little credit for building up the total without using a single smiley. Nor one instance of the F-word, or similar easy-peasy substitutes for finding the mot juste. You can check up on my F-word claim - just enter it in the Search Box on the top right of this web page, and marvel at the lack of any result. Well, I hope you do marvel. Some might simply think me unbearably prissy and goody-goody, not using such language. Well, sod them.

Of course I saw this 'one million words' event coming for some time, and inevitably thought 'Aha, that will warrant a post! I must keep writing.' (Although the noble term 'writing' can in my case be freely interchanged with idioms such as 'churning out' and 'sounding off')

So how did I know? Well, I maintain a month-by-month analysis of word counts for all the posts published since the first in February 2009, on a big spreadsheet. Just as you might expect. The actual total at the end of December 2014 was 1,003,245. I must have written the millionth word in my post on 27 December titled What to do on New Year's Day. To avoid accusations of galloping mania, I have refrained from working out which word in which sentence in which paragraph was the millionth word itself. (Although I'm sure that's a big mistake. Someone of truly precise mind would yearn to know, and would never rest until they had positively and irrefutably identified that word. Fortunately, perhaps, I am not quite that focussed)

And what did I do on New Year's Day? Did I make it down to Stonehenge? The succinct answer is Yes. I will give the long answer in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford