Sunday, 10 August 2014

They must think we are idiots

I've got yet another letter from Hotpoint, pointing out that 'it's nearly 4 years since you bought your Hotpoint washing machine' and informing me that 'as it gets older, your washing machine becomes more likely to break down'. They add the worrying information that 'repairs can be expensive' but strike a bright note: 'we've got an offer that could save you the cost of repairing or replacing it for the next 12 months. Relax with the Hotpoint Repair Plan.'

Yes, for £63 spread over twelve months - which saves £5, because paid by direct debit - or a single payment of £68, I will be covered.

But hang on, I've only ever had one washing machine die on me, and that was the machine I inherited from Dad in May 2009. It was a Zanussi machine, perhaps not the very best make. I don't quite know when my parents bought it, but kitchen photographs show that it was in use by November 2007. So it survived a full three years (at least) until it suddenly died in October 2010. And Mum was a great one for washing stuff. There were after all two persons in the house then. She undoubtedly gave her Zanussi more work than I did.

Ordinarily I do two washes per week, or perhaps 100 in a year. In four years, only 400 washes. And I look after my appliances. So I hardly think that I've worn my Hotpoint machine out yet! It still looks new, sounds new, and functions perfectly.

I really don't think the Zanussi died of mechanical failure. I think that an electrical component gave out, and that was that. It was possibly repairable, if the right circuit board or whatever was still available. But if not, kaput. I didn't waste my time finding out. I bought the same machine as my neighbour J---. She'd already had a few months' good use from her Hotpoint, and reckoned it was a great buy. Mine has so far served me just as well.

I understand that nowadays most goods like washing machines, which have little computers at their heart, will do so many washes then stop dead. It's how they're programmed. They are given a strictly limited lifespan. Even if, mechanically, they could soldier on almost forever, a counter inside them will come to (say) the 2,000th wash, and then switch the device off, permanently, forcing you to junk them and buy another machine.

Which makes the whole idea of repair insurance rather a con. What will fail? Provided you buy at least a middle-range machine, and avoid unnecessary gimmicks, and have it installed correctly, and use it correctly, it should work faultlessly until the internal counter tells it to die. If you use it most days, as a family with young children might, then death will come sooner than it will in the hands of a single old biddy like me. That's really all you need to bear in mind.

I expect my Hotpoint to survive a modest 1,000 washes, or ten years usage at my personal rate. I won't mind though if it gives up after only seven years, or 700 washes. I paid £474 for it. That'll work out at £67 a year. Perfectly reasonable. And when the time comes, I simply raid my savings account and fix myself up for another seven years. And the money for a new machine will be there, because I haven't wasted it on unnecessary repair insurance.

Ever since I've bought my Hotpoint, I have been urged annually to take out insurance against repairs. And the average annual cost of such insurance, had I paid it, would have worked out, coincidentally, at £67 a year. In other words, I would have doubled the cost of ownership by paying those repair premiums for the past four years.

And of course the cover hasn't ever been needed. Nor will it be needed, on a rational assessment of the risk.

It's exactly the same story with the Belling gas/electric cooker I bought in February 2013 for £529. The same offers of repair insurance. And yet it is the simplest of devices. The only moving parts are the knobs on the front, the thermostat that controls the cooling fan, and the fan itself. There are no fancy electronics whatever, not even a clock. And yet I am being urged to take out repair insurance at £41 a year. I expect my cooker to function perfectly for many years to come. No doubt one or more knobs will fall off and need replacement, but really I can't see what else could go wrong. So no to insurance.

It all comes down to risk, and whether one can afford to buy a replacement item at any time for something uninsured. So I do take care to insure my house and car and caravan. They are obviously vulnerable to accidental damage, and I can't afford to purchase replacements out of my purse. So insurance is needed. But my other things?

Retailers everywhere want to sell you extras, and increase their profit from a deal. Furniture and carpet retailers point out the risks of spilling red wine. (Have you actually ever done that?) Buy a new car, and you'll have to fend off earnest suggestions that you have the paintwork specially treated to preserve its gloss. I refused that one. I haven't yet noticed any loss of lustre when I wash Fiona down with lukewarm water from a bucket.

The insurance con is the commonest though. It's supposed to give you 'peace of mind', and if you are the sort that must have that at any cost, then insurance policies do look like great ideas.

My parents had 'breakdown' insurance on their Cannon gas cooker for years. This was another item I inherited in 2009. Dad cancelled the cover from March 2007, but I see from the renewal certificate for 2006/07 that up to then he had paid an annual £85 for the cover. This was for a cooker bought for £640 in March 2000. So in fact it lasted ten years! I'd hate to think that Dad paid £85 a year from 2000 to 2006, just in case it needed repair. That could have been £85 x 7 years = £595. For nothing except 'peace of mind'. Surely he didn't, not when he had so much tucked away in the bank, and could have bought a brand new cooker at any time at all. But I'm afraid he did.

He had insurance for other things too, such as loss of keys. And yet he wasn't a careless man, nor was Mum a careless woman. Anything but. What were they thinking of?

At least they were not seduced into having payment protection insurance. Some would say, oh what a pity - you'd have a tidy little sum in compensation coming to you now, as executrix and beneficiary of their estates. True. I did examine my parents' papers diligently, to see whether they had been fooled into taking out such a policy. But they had been too canny. I was pleased about that.

7 comments:

  1. I have know people so well disciplined that they actually would put those yearly amounts for the "extended warranty" into a special savings account that could then be used for the replacement or if possible repair of the items. I've always taken the attitude that you try to live as frugally as possible, putting aside whatever surplus you can manage, knowing full well that it could be raided at any time for some major expense.
    Never heard of "loss of keys" insurance. Perhaps I should start that here in Canada! A business opportunity for sure. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the domestic appliance version of a PPI (Payment protection insurance for those outside the UK), total rip-off isn't it Lucy? Firstly, if a machine is going to go faulty it will do so in the first few months else it will run till it drops normally. The first year's guarantee covers that. As Halle says, save the money so that a replacement can be purchased later. I'm not sure about the in-built failure timer Lucy. As long as the electronics are reasonably well made and are sited out of harms way they too should last the course. It's usually the moving parts which eventually fail, motor bearings, pumps but both of them are replaceable. The main problem is the cost these days, the parts may be reasonably inexpensive but the charges some companies make for labour make replacing them not cost effective, especially so if the machine is old. New machines are more efficient and economical to run and are reasonably inexpensive too. You are wise not to buy into these 'wonderful offers' of insurance.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about built-in machine death on a BBC Radio 4 programme. It seemed that washing cycles (for instance) can easily be counted by modern electronics, and if so set up, the same electronics will halt further activity.

    It all suggests that older devices really will outlast the latest ones, because only the unavailability of spare parts can stop them working as well as ever. I wish I had some!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...I think that would be against the law if discovered to be true but crazy things do happen in this world so I wouldn't be surprised
      Shirley Anne x

      Delete
  4. Wise words Lucy, The world is out to get our money by whatever means possible.

    There was a time not so long ago when it was possible to have things repaired but now iy is so expensive it makes you think hard before buying anything. Do you buy a premium product hoping it will last longer but know that the repair costs will probably be unaffordable, or do you buy something which you can afford to add to the world scrap mountain because you know that it is not even worth asking about the call out charge let alone the repair costs. British gas charges hundreds of pound per hour and they decide how long they want to take to repair something. Modern life!

    I only once tried the insurance offer but only because that offered all premiums repaid after five years if no call outs were made. Naturally just before the five years was over the whole national chain of shops declared bankrupt.

    I love your travelogues, who needs to buy guide books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see you are starting an occasional blog of your own, Ruby, with a very individual take on whatever moves you to write. Looking forward to it.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never bought extra insurance and must have saved myself thousands of pounds over my adult lifetime. It is, as you all say, a total rip-off.

    Planned obsolescence is, however, a real problem. Apparently, there's quite an art to it - the first breakdown mustn't be too expensive as it would damage your confidence, but when it finally (and doubtless prematurely) fails, you must think it's so great that you want to buy the same brand again.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford