Friday, 9 May 2014

Ringtones

Ringtones on your mobile phone are a very individual thing. Many experiment with them, to find something that they really like. Text notification sounds are actually just as important - far more important in my own case, since most of my friends text me instead of speaking. One person I know has a loud and resonant Swiss Horn as the text message sound on her iPhone. I admire that horn very much.

Some people of course just stay with the standard ringtone that the phone comes with, perhaps never realising that it can be oh-so-easily changed, just by delving into into the settings. Or maybe they do not care. My Dad, for instance, would never have thought it worth a moment's effort to try out some new (and possibly nicer) ringtone on his Nokia. And I have a friend who has somehow ended up with ringtone and text notification sounds that are so soft and soothing that they can't be heard - and are therefore useless for their prime purpose! Unless, that is, her phone happens to be in her hand, or is out on the table in front of her. If it's in her bag, or in another room at home, she never realises that someone wants to contact her, or has some important question to ask her. Which on occasion can be a little frustrating!

Of course, who has not been annoyed by someone (on a bus or train, say) who conducts a hectic social life on his or her phone, gets plenty of calls and messages, and has some frenzied heavy metal number for a ringtone or text notification? And yet, to be an efficient alert, such a cacophony, loud and attention-grabbing, is in theory just right. Perhaps the irritation really arises from the phone owner's sad lack of musical good taste. Not that I'm a judge of musical good taste! It's like my sense of humour: absent.

I also once heard a phone (that belonged to a girl student) make a soft whooshing noise like a puff of breeze whenever a text came through. Whoosh. Just very briefly. Like a breath. That was very cool indeed - but unfortunately, hardly audible.

What do I have on Demelza? For my texts, a knock-knock sound. Like two sharp taps on wood. It can be distinctly heard when the phone is in my bag, even in a busy pub. And for calls, a spirited little tune that came with Eloise and has been transferred to Demelza, that sounds like an urgent bit of flute-playing.

I have (naturally) experimented with ringtones based on some of the music tracks on my phone. Vocal items don't seem to work nearly as well as instrumental passages. And to meet the key requirement of being noticed, all the most effective tracks tend to feature a loud guitar or piano. So Link Wray's Rumble is spot on; so is Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag or The Entertainer. A bit wearing on the ears, these, but likely to cut through pub din and be heard. I also tried Whistling Jack Smith's I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman, but when I actually received a call, it didn't seem piercing enough. So I went back to my flute ringtone.

I suppose that if you constantly get voice calls, anything will do, because once your ears get used to a particular ringtone they will respond instantly, no matter what the background noise. At least, they will if you are not too deaf. I rather fear that many who grew up during the 1970s had way too much exposure to over-loud live music, and may be having a lot of difficulty hearing anything nowadays. This may, for all I know, be even more of a problem for the later Walkman/iPod generation. So perhaps that annoying person on the train who uses a crashy thrashy trashy ringtone is doing so because their hearing is ruined, and a ringtone like that is medically essential, the only way they can hear the call coming through. And indeed they merit a certain sympathy and understanding, if that's not going too far. (It is)

6 comments:

  1. I changed my ringtone immediately I got the phone. It sounds just like a phone ringing now, you know, an actual BELL! LOL. Of all the things that infuriate me, special ringtones and tunes are near the top of my list I'm afraid, I just can't stand them. I am not sure at the moment what sound heralds the arrival of a text message but I think it's a simple 'ding'. It matters not because I hardly ever receive texts and if I do I usually don't hear a tone or don't bother answering it. I've just read a great post about phones and made a response http://momentswithmillie.wordpress.com/

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked my settings......I have all other alerts turned off so I only respond to voice calls. I check for any messages later.

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete
  2. Well, you run a business, and filtering is important. I'd agree that a bell-type ringtone on your mobile phone might be a very good idea.

    I don't think you should be so dismissive of texts: If I ever want to speak to anybody, I prefer to text them first, to confirm that it's convenient for them if I follow the text up with a proper voice call. I'd like others to do the same for me, but of course they never do!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put the bell tone on because it is a business phone, I simply hate those puerile songs and ditties. I don't like texts. If someone wants to communicate with me I want to hear them speaking. If I want to be left undisturbed I will switch the phone off. They can always leave a message in my voice mail box which I do check during the day.
      I am not sure about 'moments with millie' and what he is about but I liked that particular post.

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete
  3. Thank you for referring me to Millie's blog. She's now on my new Blog List.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford