Friday, 28 March 2014

Salacious publicity

The BBC is presently reporting developments in the Max Clifford trial. I dare say other news agencies are doing the same, but (rightly or wrongly) the BBC is my first choice for hard news and information, and I am therefore denying myself the opportunity of seeing what his former media 'customers' now have to say about him in print. How ironic that a peddler of salacious human-interest stories to the highest bidder should now be a salacious story himself.

Can one say 'poor Max Clifford'? Well, guilty or innocent of the charges against him - and I can offer no opinion - it can't be pleasant to be accused of sexual crimes, with all the speculation and mud-slinging that generates. Some would say that the stress of this very public examination will be a salutory lesson to a person who made a very good living from being a 'publicist' - the man you would go to if you had a sensational story to sell for as much money as possible. Max Clifford handled negotiations on your behalf, for a fee. He provided a service. A good many people will have been disdainful of what Mr Clifford did for a living, but it was not illegal and he had a talent for it.

I always took the view that any story likely to be snatched at by the competing media empires would easily sell itself, and no bribery - sexual or otherwise - was necessary to promote it. It simply needed a tough middle man (like Mr Clifford) to control the game. And if such a man did secure the best cash offer, then of course he earned his fee.

Was it 'casting couch' territory? If I had ever gone to Mr Clifford myself, as Lucy Melford the Wronged Woman who was Forced to Debase Herself in ways Sunday Readers would wish to salivate over, then I would be expecting a strictly businesslike meeting with a professional, and no hanky-panky to confuse the deal. My focus would be on the sales potential of my story, and what cash I could make from it. And only that. Indeed, I would have my solicitor with me.

But it's still easy to see Mr Clifford's vulnerability to an accusation against his character. Now and then he must have refused to handle a story, or made less from it than the client expected, and the client would then feel aggrieved and inclined to punish him. Perhaps Hell hath no fury like a disappointed client?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford