Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Claiming benefits

Would I claim a social security cash benefit if I discovered that I qualified? You bet, like a shot. You won't hear a sanctimonious 'I'm too proud to claim' from this quarter. Nor a smug 'I don't need the money' either. If I were entitled, I'd claim it, and be very glad to have the money. An entitlement - enshrined in legislation, or in statutory instruments, or in official regulations - is not a charitable handout. It's a right. There's no shame in enforcing a right. While one can.

And it's not much income at that. Take the State Pension, for instance. That's a big, flagship benefit. I'm expecting £116 a week when my own kicks in later this year. Or £93 after tax. Very useful money to me. But it's pocket money to a salaried person. £93 is what a posh evening meal for one might cost - see my post Stamford - Lunch and dinner at the George Hotel on 3 November 2013 - towards the end - when I describe the menu and prices. One meal! The sort of meal that popular lifestyle programmes like Masterchef promote. You can easily spend £93 at a hairdresser too.

Nobody now pretends that the State Pension is enough to live on, but for an awful lot of old people it is the largest part of their total income. The part they count on. The part that covers the most fundamental costs of living. It's vital to keep its value up, and protect it from the ravages of inflation.

The State Pension is in fact the only cash benefit I can ever claim. I never qualified for anything in the past. This was because my in-work earnings (and latterly my occupational pension) were always too high.

I was entitled to claim Unemployment Benefit immediately after leaving school in 1970, in the weeks before I commenced my career, but I didn't know that I could. The school hadn't thought of telling me, nor how to set about it. I found out only when I applied for a National Insurance Number at the Southampton social security office. I got ticked off severely for not paying my National Insurance stamp during the previous few weeks, and also for not signing-on and drawing the Dole! This unhelpful slap in the face was probably designed to put me firmly in my young place. To convey to me that without a job I was just one of the faceless Little People, a person stigmatised, a person liable to be pushed around or kept waiting.

I did not forget the attitude shown to me, nor the lesson learned. Next time I would come armed with information on my rights, and refuse to be talked down to.

But the 'next time' never came, not until after my retirement in 2005, when I had to visit the Job Centre in Haywards Heath. And that was not to claim anything, but to get an officer there to inspect and copy my Decree Absolute, so that my National Insurance record would show that I'd been divorced in 1996. The atmosphere was very different - friendly, smiling, nothing too much trouble. But I do wonder how it would have been if I'd wanted to claim a benefit.

Benefit claimants are now enemies of the State. I can see a time coming when all benefit payments will stop. There will then be two types of people. On the one hand, the dependent poor, who would get only benefits in kind - approved accommodation with standard meals, strictly rationed travel vouchers, strictly rationed education, strictly rationed healthcare - coupled with compulsory activities such as community work to keep them usefully occupied, and obligatory confiscation of any savings or personal assets. On the other, the independent people with their own money.

People with no choices at all, and people with some choices.

People in bondage, with no dignity; and people whose illusion of freedom is scarred by the fear of falling into indignity.

I think I may see it, or something like it, in the next thirty years. That's why I would most certainly grab whatever cash I could, if it were being offered, as a sensible strategy.

But I think I'm already too late. I'm thinking that the Chancellor's Autumn Statement, the last one before the General Election in 2015, will reaffirm the principles of cutting-back. All the more so, now that the economy is picking up, and apparently 'proving' that the government's financial policy has been correct. I expect my Christmas Bonus, and my Winter Fuel Allowance, and possibly even my free Bus Pass to be snatched away just before I would have had them. And if the government gets away with doing that, then expect much more of the same.

5 comments:

  1. You would be better off working Lucy. I don't work because I have to, I work because I want to and the extra cash comes in handy. I don't ever want to be dependent on the State though the pension they provide for me does help towards paying off my monthly debts. My private pension would be enough to pay them off by itself so the State pension is a bonus too! I generally save more than I spend of my disposable income though over the last six months much has been spent on my home projects. Major home improvements we have undertaken over the last four years came out of my savings. Whilst I think the poor should be helped I regard those who live off the State by claiming every handout they can rather than finding honest work as the scum of Society. We came into the world with nothing and we leave the same way but in the interim we should earn our keep as long as we are able-bodied.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't like to make blanket judgements on benefit claimants. Circumstances vary. And in any case, my first-hand experience of claiming - or having a vital need to claim - is non-existent.

    I don't actually need to work, and I certainly wouldn't if I knew that getting a job robbed someone else of income they needed.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'I certainly wouldn't if I knew that getting a job robbed someone else of income they needed.'

      Very noble statement which would seem to indicate a concern for those who need work however you also said that you don't have to work which means you don't need the money. If you don't need the money then why the need for extra benefits? Is it all right to take money from the National purse because you want extras?

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete
  3. Ah, but think of what I've paid in income tax, NI contributions, VAT, fuel duty, etc, etc, over my lifetime!

    I worked it out soon after retirement in 2005. In the previous 35 years of employment I'd paid not less than £185,000 in income tax/NIC - which at 2005 money value was £225,000. Add another £28,000 in incoe tax since then, and uplift for inflation. Over £300,000 contributed, I reckon.

    I'm not even counting Council Tax...

    And how little I've had back. What, a few pills from the doctor each month? Bins emptied?

    I'd have no guilt whatever requesting some of that £300,000 back if I were legally entitled.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends upon what the £300,000 tax is intended for. The government purse isn't a savings bank for contributors now is it Lucy? As for NI. you got off lightly, I paid for forty years! I still pay tax of course but fortunately no longer pay NI. I guess my contribution to be at the very least the same as yours if not more and Council Tax......now that is daylight robbery because I own a large house I pay more (£2500 per annum) though I don't use any more of the services that everyone else paying less does! That is why a poll tax is fairer. Everyone uses the same, everyone pays the same else pay as you use. Naturally I would expect such a tax to be income related, something the government didn't do when they first introduced it. No Lucy, I know I pay more than I feel is right so I would feel no guilt in accepting something extra, however I'd rather earn it myself and pay what I have to.

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford