Saturday, 8 February 2014

Caught

Just as I finished this morning's post, the mail came. One item was a letter from Dinnages, the Volvo dealer, inviting me to come in and discuss buying a brand-new '14' registration Volvo. Do they think I'm rich or something?

Another was a formal invitation from M--- and C--- (my nephew and his girlfriend) to their wedding next May. Very happy to get that!

The third item was from the Kent Police. I was expecting it. 

Three days ago, when driving over to see my cousin R---, I'd tried out a new route between Pembury and Kings Hill. This involved driving directly cross-country, using the A228. It proved to be a mistake. The A228 was obviously much-used by heavy container lorries, as a link between the A21 and the M20 motorway. It was a slow road.

So I joined the end of a long queue of vehicles trundling along at 40mph or less. This was highly frustrating. It went on for mile after mile. I was only able to overtake once north of the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood, where there was a dual-carriageway section. By then I was running behind time. After overtaking a long line of vehicles, I slowed to negotiate the roundabout where the northbound A228 meets the B2015. Just beyond the roundabout there was a 50 mph sign. But I was still in dual-carriageway mode, and paid it no heed. I sped away, pleased at the prospect of at last making rapid progress on the straight road that lay ahead. I seemed to have the ongoing A228 entirely to myself.

But I wasn't alone on that road. A van was parked on the left. As I got closer, I read 'Police' on it. And I saw a camera lens recording my approach. I curbed my acceleration, glanced at the speedometer (which at that point said 56 mph), and drove on very carefully.

Damn. I knew that they'd caught me speeding. I was, most certainly, over the 50 mph limit. No argument about it.

What would they do? How much leeway might they allow? I discussed this with my cousin. She said that the police did allow some leeway. If I wasn't driving carelessly or recklessly for the road conditions, and my speed wasn't too much over 50 mph, then they might let me off. So possibly I might hear nothing more. If however I'd been going so fast that they couldn't use any discretion, then I'd face a fine and penalty points on my driving licence.

But then she described how an elderly neighbour of hers, caught in similar circumstances, had been offered a Speed Awareness Course instead of the fine. The Kent Police were known to be keen on re-education, and might be minded to offer me the same thing. Ah, that sounded positive. My clean, unblemished driving licence would now be spoiled for the next four years by having three penalty points marked on it. No escape from that. But a £100 fine as well! I'd rather spend that money on the course, and get something useful from it.

This morning's communication from the Kent Police was a Section 172 Notice, requiring me to confirm that I was the driver, and to provide certain details. It told me that the camera in the Police van had caught me doing 61 mph. I couldn't possibly argue. That almost certainly meant penalty points and that fine. I filled in the form and posted it back this afternoon with a covering letter. They'll get it on Monday, and then we shall see. I was sorry and very humble in that covering letter. And I drew attention to the Speed Awareness Course, saying that I could get real benefit from it. No lie: I'm sure that it would be so.

Whatever the outcome, I have taken this as a wake-up call. I have accordingly been driving within the speed limits. I've decided that if I need to press ahead, I will now do it using intelligent driving skills, and not just a big engine and a heavy right foot.

5 comments:

  1. I think most speeding fines are just a tax these days. Few modern cars will fail to exceed a limit each time they are out but few of the excessive speeders will get caught.

    Rather than lenience, I once experienced a police radar trap where they could pick up a reading as you approached a limit sign! What can you do? Our police would hardly lie would they!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annoyingly, the hidden cost to this will be your car insurance premiums increasing for 4 years, so the £100 is actually the least of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You broke the law. Now you will pay the penalty. We all make mistakes Lucy but unfortunately the days of a simple slap on the wrist have long gone. I will confess to driving over the limit sometimes too, though I am careful as to where and when. The speed limits are there for a reason they say and indeed at higher speeds I can understand that. However the new lower speed of 20mph that has been introduced seemingly everywhere and on main thoroughfares is absolutely ridiculous in many cases. If you were doing 61 in a 50mph zone that represents more than 20% over. Had it been something like 5% you might have gotten away with it. Pay the penalty (which I hope won't be too severe) and move on.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've always seemed a most careful driver, Lucy, so this was an uncharacteristic lapse on your part. Pay up, keep smiling and tell yourself that lots of things on our motor cars cost at least £100 to put right.

    Shirley Anne - in France the limit in town centres is frequently 20km/h. Now that really is slow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when they were more sane Angela, well as far as speed limits were concerned. When it came to driving in their towns I think they were completely insane. Maybe that's why their speed limits are now so low!

      Shirley Anne x

      Delete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford