Thursday, 19 December 2013

More sewing

You may recall that earlier this year I created a new strap for an Italian bag that had never been used, mainly because the original short shoulder strap wasn't practical. It had looked like this:


I substituted a long cross-body strap that made all the difference:


I've been using this bag ever since, for nearly every occasion. But it's had a weakness. The clip-on brass fastenings were cannibalised from an inexpensive holdall, and they weren't very robust. I could have used the substantial original fastenings, but was reluctant to cut them off the shoulder strap before I knew for certain that this bag would become my favourite. However, the time has come to do just that. While out last night, one of the 'holdall' fastenings failed. You can see the situation in this shot:


Centre, the surviving clip-on 'holdall' fastening. The lower section swivels around in a hole. Right, what happens when the metal wears away and the hole gets too large: the lower section falls out. Left, the much better-made and heavier-duty clip-on fastening for the original shoulder strap.

I have unpicked the sewing on the long cross-body strap, in readiness for the better fastenings. There was another thing I needed to do: trim the leather to accommodate the circular part of those fastenings. The original shoulder strap was my template:


Now it's just a sewing-up job in good daylight. I'm all ready to go.


Sequel
Next morning the sun came out, and in good light I quickly sewed the original brass strap fastenings on, then clipped the refurbished strap to my bag. It was an easy job, as I simply used the sew-holes already there in the leather. The result looked good. And I was pleased that at last all the original metalwork for this bag was together again. I put a generous amount of leather cream on the bag, let it dry, then buffed it up. Ah, ready for action!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford