Tuesday, 3 September 2013

My last day out in London - the Tate Modern 1

Well, very probably the last for a long time. I do appreciate what London has to offer. As an exciting cultural experience it is second to none; there is an overwhelming amount to see; it magnificently affirms that Britain is important, unique, deep, alive and kicking, a powerhouse. Full of money new and old. Resonant with echoes of the past in every city lane and alleyway, in every monument, right back to Roman times. But also where a futuristic cityscape is being built before your very eyes, as glass and steel towers reach ever higher towards the sun, in ever weirder shapes. It's like no other place on earth that I've personally yet seen or heard of.

But it's also expensive to travel to, vast and sprawling, exhausting to walk around, humdrum away from the city centre, choked with people, and empties your purse like no other tourist trap. After just a few hours, I find I have had quite enough, even though I haven't really done a third of what I thought I might do. Then I want to escape.

I hadn't been to London for over a year. I've now had another bite at it. With my visits to Dr Curtis at an end, there is no reason to ever go there again, but there is still so much I'd like to see. So perhaps I'll go back sometime in the coming twelve months. But it'll be a spur-of-the-moment decision, and I know that I'll find it tiring and expensive. And that's why I'll go alone, so that I can, without ruining anyone else's day, scrap my plans and make for the next train out of the place the instant I've had my fill.

I've already mentioned that I went to see Dr Curtis in London last week. My appointment was at 3.00pm. I decided to get up there from Sussex by 11.30am, and, both before and after my appointment, spend time at a gallery or museum that I'd not been to before. Two places only. I knew I would not be able to manage more than that. I chose the Tate Modern, that world-famous gallery of modern art, and a little known museum of Egyptology, the secretly tucked-away Petrie Museum, at University College London.

This post is about the Tate Modern, the building. Tomorrow's post will cover the visitors and the exhibits.

The Tate Modern occupies a huge brick building that previously housed the Bankside Power Station, and it has been continuously developed on that site since the 1990s. Externally, it still looks very industrial, but that's perfectly in keeping with its purpose of presenting the best of modern art, and the cavernous interior of this austere brick and steel structure is cathedral-like in its soaring height and sense of space. It has a tall tower, and is a distinctive landmark when seen from the north bank of the Thames - in this instance from Queenhithe, near Southwark Bridge:


Across the river in front of it is the Milennium Bridge, for pedestrians only, which lets you shuttle between this Cathedral of Art and St Paul's, that Cathedral of God, almost directly opposite. The Tate Modern is of course well integrated into a continuous complex of South Bank cultural and tourist venues, such as the rebuilt Globe Theatre, with a riverside walkway linking them:


As you approach the Tate Modern, that central tower becomes dominant and awe-inspiring:


Halfway up on the river side is a café with an outside balcony, which gives you amazing views of St Paul's, as these pictures may suggest:


A lofty platform to see the city from! But even at this height, all of the tower has yet to thrust fingerlike into the blue sky, as a sideways glance upwards from the balcony confirms:


I wonder how many people have attempted to climb that tower?

Internally the old power station building was vast. Four floors of spacious galleries have been created on the river side, but that still leaves the landward side and the colossal central space to play with, presently the subject of an ongoing building programme:


It must have looked brutal when the disused power station was being considered as a possible site for the Tate Modern back in the early 1990s. The galleries show nothing of the steel skeleton from which they are suspended. But here and there some tidied-up steel has been left, as a reminder of the original purpose of the building:


I really like how the whole 'developed' part of the building has been made into a series of structural artworks, the gallery spaces and connecting escalators and stairways being in themselves reflections of the paintings and the three-dimensional objects on display. Equally so, the exposed piping:


The galleries vary in size. Some, such as projection rooms, are small and intimate. Others are long and narrow, others vast cubes or echoing rectangular boxes. Different spaces suit different works. For instance, this work, involving well-separated pure white fluorescent light clusters, could only be shown in a big room all to itself:


Other works, such as these sombre and brooding paintings by Mark Rothko, achieve their full intensity and power by being hung in a much smaller space:


Rothko painted these to hang in a New York restaurant, but realising that they were too dark in mood, and that they would unsettle and subdue the diners, he found another home for them. Only in a very large space, flooded with light, would they lose their oppressive effect.

Tomorrow I'll present pictures of the people I saw at the Tate Modern, and say something personal about the exhibits.

4 comments:

  1. I have been to London but a few times, partly to see my psychiatrist and at other times on engineering courses or on holiday but I could never get used to the big city. In fact I dislike crowded places such as you find in cities and especially London, even my little town gets too crowded for me. I am an admirer of architecture and there is plenty of that in London so I would be content just seeing the numerous buildings and structures. As for museums and art galleries, well they hold only a small interest for me. There is something for everyone in London if you can stand the chaos, high prices, crowds and the rest. I am quite certain I won't be visiting the place again unless for some unforeseen circumstance.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley Anne, how can you not find interest in galleries?

    London is too close to pandemonium for me, one day is my maximum and then only every ten years... How on earth do people actually live there? Only thing which really pleased me there was authentic Chinese food in Soho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could ask you a similar question Caroline, we all cannot be interested in the same things. For me, walking around galleries means wasting my time when I could be doing something that I like doing.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahnsinnig schöne Farben und eine Landschaft zum Verlieben. Erinnert mich an ein Gemälde, ich glaub es heisst „Rainy Landscape“ von dem russischen Maler Kandansky http://WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8EWL66, welches ich auf WahooArt.com gesehen habe. Dort können Sie sich Gemälde drucken lassen oder auch handmalen lassen. Wirklich ein grossartiger Platz wo Sie die gleiche Art von Ihrem Gemälde finden können.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford