Monday, 4 March 2013

Verbal excess?

No fancy writing today. I've just started a cold, and I don't feel mentally sharp.

It's a day of routine tasks at home, so far as I feel like doing them, and if necessary I'll say 'maƱana', and not worry about any job not done. To best endure a cold, one needs to rest, stay in the warm, drink a lot, eat well, and sleep, sleep, sleep if nature tells you to.

At least it's bright and sunny, and at some point I may stir myself to brush out and wash Fiona, or totter around the village. Or maybe not. We'll see.

So today, all I'm dishing up is a statistic.

At the end of every month I update a spreadsheet that keeps track of how many words I've published on my blog so far, analysed by month and year. After four complete years, a landmark grand total has now been passed.

Up to 28 February 2013, I'd published (in almost 830 posts) a total of 523,886 words. This figure includes the words in the nine posts I took down two months ago (the posts that caught the attention of our chums at GenderTrender, and a few more that I thought in retrospect had ventured into strange places that I didn't really want to go). I don't know how many photographs I've also published to illustrate my posts - two or three hundred I'm guessing - but the word total alone seems worth remark. Obviously I love to spray the world with my verbal paint, even if it isn't done with the artistry of Banksy.

Half a million words, though. An average of 125,000 or so each year. Which means that if (and it's an unlikely if, of course) I'd had the talent and stamina, I could have been churning out an annual Harry Potter or Fifty Shades of Grey. You may be thankful that I haven't tried. And indeed I'm relieved to be simply the dilettante author of a little-known blog - and not the slave to a publisher who cannot give me any rest.

I can tell you, I'd hate to be sitting brain-dead today at my PC, with a runny nose, and feeling obliged to produce another 1,000 wonderful words by lunchtime. Just to meet a book-publishing deadline. How awful.

1 comment:

  1. Well for someone not writing much today you are writing much today! Hope you are feeling better soon Lucy. Best thing for a cold is plenty of food and drink but not necessarily rest unless you are completely debilitated or have other health problems. I always find working through a cold helps me enormously but that's me. It's the 'flu you need to be careful of.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford