Thursday, 18 October 2012

Twitter: the exit of @lucymelford

I've pulled the plug on Twitter already.

No sooner had I got up and running, than a virus hit my PC. F-Secure spotted it and dealt with it, but really this was too much of a coincidence. I think the sudden influx of new connections must have made me vulnerable, and I'm not minded to take any risks. So Twitter has had to go. No ifs and buts. Out the door.

It won't be missed. It was only going to be another way, an informal way, of tapping into what's happening. It was not my New Voice, nor how I like to keep in touch with anybody, nor a method of promoting myself.  

So anyone who thought that my blog was about to be run down can now breathe a big sigh of relief, or irritation, as the case may be!

4 comments:

  1. Humans are so clever at inventing things but sadly there are always those out there ready to turn the best inventions into nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you saw sense there Lucy, if I may be so bold to say. It shouldn't be that way of course but as Caroline points out there are some idiots out there who only want to spoilt it for everyone else.

    Shirley Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That surprises me, from a professional www geek standpoint. Assuming you were using the web interface to Twitter there should have been no infection vector through that route.

    At a guess it's more likely to have been a so-called "drive-by download" from another infected web site, and thus merely coincidental with your Twitter excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that Jenny is correct. I still from time to time consider becoming a twitterer. Then don't do anything about it.
    Today I read this :
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2220669/Spouting-filth-s-VERY-strange-way-stick-free-speech.html
    Which I find quite extraordinairy as well as shocking.

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford