Saturday, 23 June 2012

Venus and Water Dragons

This really is an eventful year for the Queen. Not just her Diamond Jubilee. Not just the Olympic Games, at which England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will doubtless secure gold medals by the boatload in her honour. Not just the centenary of Alan Turing's birth. And not just the chance to shake hands with Martin McGuinness!

If all this were not sufficient, the planet Venus has chosen to transit the Sun.

A favoured monarch indeed! And a favoured country, to get no less than three long-reigning and influential queens: Elizabeth 1, Victoria and now Elizabeth 11. Not that I'm putting the kings down. They've generally been a set of characters too, including the Duchy Original who is still waiting in the wings, and who knows, may never get a crack at the Top Job till he's drawing his pension. (Hmmm. I think I'll do a post soon about what I think of the Royal Family as an institution!)

Back to the planet Venus. Did you see the transit? Probably not, at least not directly. Nor did I. It was too cloudy, and most of it happened when it was night-time in the UK. But I found a way to check on the progress of the event by other means. I kept looking at Google Sky Map, which is an Android app you can use offline. It gives you a pretty good maplike view of the sky, which of course changes at short intervals as things move around. A view you can zoom into, and scroll about in, and see what's going on. Supernovas, worlds colliding, meteor strikes, exploding moons, alien battlefleets, its all there, constantly updated.

So, wielding my Sony tablet, I looked at what was happening late in the evening on 5 June, and behold, I saw this:


Then I looked again on the morning of 6 June, and lo, I saw this:


The clue that time has elapsed is in the position of the constellation Taurus relative to the Sun, especially the star Aldebaran. Notice how the names of Venus and the Sun are very close together, with the name of Venus above the Sun's in the first shot, and below it in the second, revealing that it had moved across the Sun's disc.

Now I think you'll grant that this was a safe and convenient way to 'observe' the transit, and what's more I've got two souvenir photos, taken with the little Leica off the screen of the tablet!

What nobody seemed to notice was that Mercury, Venus and Jupiter were all rather adjacent in the sky. My astrology is a bit rusty, but I believe that could auger well. Another good omen?

I'm sure it's even better in the system used in Chinese Astrology. I was born in 1952, which makes me a Water Dragon. Sixty years on, it is again the year for Water Dragons. I don't want to tempt the gods, of course I don't, but this surely ought to be a amazingly lucky year for me!

Any day now. For that amazing luck, I mean...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy. I was enjoying this until I reached the last two paragraphs...LOL. I don't believe you put faith in astrology. Astronomy however is a wonderful subject and a life-long favourite of mine. Yes, it is such a pity that here in the UK we seem to miss out on seeing many heavenly events because of our unpredictable weather. I first saw that application on my eldest son's phone some time back and it is truly amazing isn't it? If you would like a similar (better) application for use on your computers try this link (I have it on my computer) http://www.nightsky.co/appsandsims/nightsky3.html

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water dragon, eh? So it's down to you that's it's rained all summer. Lucy, the reservoir topper-upper!

    Here's hoping next year's the year of the sunflower, but it'll probably be something like a water buffalo.

    Hugs and giggles,
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ought to reassure Shirley Anne that to me astrology is of cultural and recreational interest only - like a lot of things, not to be taken very seriously!

    Mind you, a Chinese Dragon is a jolly good thing to be. Quite different from the dragons in European folklore and myth, which all deserved to be killed by grim-faced knights in shining armour.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford