Monday, 25 June 2012

Executed

No, I haven't lost my head. I've simply put in place the last document needed to complete my collection of 'identity papers', the papers I need to confirm that I am indeed Lucy Melford, born as a girl named Lucy D--- in 1952. I've executed a replacement Deed Poll that links Lucy D--- on my new Birth Certificate with my present name, Lucy Melford.

The original Birth Certificate, the Deed Poll on 1 November 2009, and the Gender Recognition Certificate can all now be put away. They will not be needed any more to establish my identity. So if I ever get married again, or emigrate, or stand for Parliament, or any of the somewhat unlikely things that I might do in the future, I am covered. I simply produce the new Birth Certificate and the new Deed Poll.

It may seem rather a fuss about not much, but believe me, this is has all been terribly important to me. And now I have a big sense of 'job well done'. I do enjoy clearing up loose ends! It's especially pleasing because it's been done and dusted before I go off down to Cornwall next week. Nice to go off with an important task ticked off, and not just endlessly pending.

This said, it's not something to make into a conversation-piece at my Family Gathering next Saturday, to mark my 60th Birthday. I'm guessing that most people (unless working in the legal profession) wouldn't see why I needed to execute two Deed Polls, and wouldn't be in any way interested to know.

Rather more people might get engaged with the idea of a new Birth Certificate, although my instinct is to play that down. It's one thing to present yourself as a woman, one thing to mention that you actually possess a Gender Recognition Certificate; but something tells me that it's quite another to mention that you have a new Birth Certificate that Rewrites History. A lot of people might baulk at that, and say that it can't be right to allow it, and a contentious discussion on those lines is the last thing I want on a day of togetherness and jollity. So mum's the word.


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely Lucy. Mum's the word. Funny thing, I never get asked for such information by my family members and those who don't know my history either. Those who do know that I have transitioned may ask me lots of things about my transition (actually that hasn't happened in years now) but fail to ask about documentation. Either the thought hasn't (didn't) crossed their mind or they assumed there would be some document changes. Once or twice I have shown people my passport or drivers licence but they never ask how I obtained them.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you don't need to show them to your family members!

    Congratulations on getting through all of the red tape

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford