Sunday, 8 April 2012

My shiny new Birth Certificate

This is what the fuss is all about. This is The Glittering Prize that lies beyond The Surgery. It arrived yesterday from Southport. You can get two versions if your birth was registered before 1969, both of them printed on watermarked A4 paper: a landscape-style version that shows all the information that the original birth certificate did, but not your surname at birth (although that can be inferred from your father's name); and a portrait version, very much simpler, that omits most of the original information but does show your current surname. Here they are:


YES! I can take all the pain of owning this.


YES! I can take all the punishment. Bring it on.

Even these are not the Ultimate Certificates. I can imagine someone being even prouder of a Marriage Certificate or similar that shows their corrected birth name and gender. But for me, my new Birth Certificate is sufficient to put an end to a lifetime feeling like one of society's awkward misfits.

For preference, I will use the old-style Certificate. I paid £18.50 for two copies of it. (The new-style Certificate was free) I'll have to set up a fresh Statutory Declaration to connect my birth surname of Dommett with my adopted surname of Melford, so that I can drop my original 'male' Birth Certificate and the Deed Poll as linking documents. I'm thinking about consulting the Gender Trust or Gires about that next week.

So am I carrying printouts of these Certificates (and the GRC) in my handbag? You betcha. At least for now, because lots of people seem very keen to see them, including the three natal women I had a meal out with last Monday evening. (They toasted me, and I was officially welcomed as One Of The Girls) But eventually I'll carry only the old-style Birth certificate, along with my passport and NHS Medical Card, these basic items being essential anyway for my caravanning holidays far from home. But adequate firepower, I'd say, to let me win any showdown with transphobic officialdom.

[Act Two. Outside the Ladies Club. Enter Lucy, in the costume of a Venetian noblewoman, making for the entrance. A Transphobic Official bars her way]

Transphobe: You're a man, aren't you?
Lucy: I beg your pardon? Let me pass, oafish slave.
Transphobe: Listen, I know all about these things. You were born a man.
Lucy: You insult me. I was always a woman. Do you want me to prove it?
Transphobe: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You think you were born a girl. You people all say that. Are you going to flash your fake boobs, then?
Lucy: Now you're annoying me. Supposing I prove what I say, will you fall on this dagger, and drink from this cup of hemlock?
Transphobe: I'll fall on a dozen daggers, aye, and drink a hundred vile cups of poison. Show me your proof.
Lucy: So be it. Here's my passport. Sex: F for female.
Transphobe: Er...
Lucy: Here's my Birth Certificate. It says 'girl'.
Transphobe: Er...
Lucy: I'm afraid you must die.

[Transphobe dies of self-inflicted stab wounds and excess toxicity. Exit Lucy]

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lucy. We lost our original birth certificates when we applied for French nationality. If we'd have known, we would have handed in copies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulatons on becoming French nationals! Citoyenne Anji!

    Emigation (or maybe just getting a visa or work permit) is one of those situations where having the right Birth Certificate, and simplifying the connection between the Birth certificate and one's current ID, become vital. None of this is mere window-dressing.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need the birth certificate? I could show my driving licence, I suppose, but have never felt the need. Nor have I met transphobic gits, generally. One or two, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats again Lucy. I'm afraid though that for the hardened transphobe none of all this is convincing, if you weren't born with all the right bits to them you will remain a freek. Thank God we don't come across people such as these very often but even if we do always remember we know better. In reality we have nothing to explain to anyone. Hold your head high. Love

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do only rarely need to show documents but I was glad to find an excuse to use my new certificate a couple of weeks ago when registering with a new GP. The Southport registrars generals office managed to get all the original particulars wrong when sending me the draft version new certificate. They'd printed off the birth details of someone else born in my hometown a week earlier than me. Had they been a few years younger I might have been tempted to approve the flawed draft. By way of apology, the registrars office waived their fee for the extra version of the certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Lucy !I'm happy to hear that.Congratulation again.sell my house

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford