Saturday, 31 March 2012

Holiday clothes

I love clothes. I spend too much on them, but I get an awful lot of pleasure from having them. It's the same with my car. She cost an awful lot to buy, she's rather expensive to run, but my satisfaction from her is huge and likely to last for a very long time to come. In the same way, good clothes are an investment. And if you buy wisely, each new item will find friends already there in your wardrobe, and the number of outfit permutations will increase.

While on holiday, and in the days immediately following, I bought seven items that filled gaps in my wardrobe. Five of them were purchased at a reduced sale price - in fact I saved a total of £224 on these five things. Here are all seven articles, bobbing on my rear garden washing line:


First up is that black-and white striped top, from Debenhams in Brighton:


It cost £7, reduced from £14, thus saving £7. Next up, a navy blue cardigan from Fat Face in Sidmouth:


This was a cotton and linen mixture, just in, and I paid the full price of £42. Worn with same-colour jeggings it makes a very slimming combo. Also from Fat Face in Sidmouth was this longer, chunkier, coral cardigan:


It's a nice, easy, comfortable thing to mooch about in. It was £25, reduced from £45, so £20 saved. Next, this rather nice dusky pink and ruched Gerry Weber jacket from Beales in Bournemouth:



I particularly wanted a glamorous, waist-hugging jacket for the summer, and especially for when I meet A--- (my step-daughter) in June for the very first time in the flesh as Lucy. This jacket spoke to me. It was just in, and I paid the full price of £180. This very posed changing room shot four days later in Sidmouth may give an idea how it looks when worn open:


Next, a knee-length caramel skirt with a classy dark brown belt from Debenhams in Brighton:


This met a crying need for a hip-emphasising skirt that was neither too long or too short, and not the eternal black either. Its waist is elasticated (need I say?). It cost £14, reduced from £28, thus saving £14.

Next, an unusual spice-coloured lambswool and mohair jacket by Avoca (of Ireland). I saw it at a posh boutique named 21 in the small Dorset town of Beaminster:



The construction of this jacket is full of brightly-coloured blobs or bobbles of wool, which to my eyes resemble yellow, green and red seed pods:


It's got a jacket shape, and it's lined, but it's really in spirit more like a comfy expensive-looking red-brown cardigan for chilly evenings, while eating fish-and-chips on the Lyme Regis seafront - which is exactly what I did in it! It cost £45, reduced from £153, a saving of £108. Which I think was a pretty decent sale discount.

And finally, a soft chestnut leather jacket by Betty Jackson, bought at Debenhams in Brighton:



This is another waist-friendly jacket, cut to emphasise whatever bust you may have. Which allows it to score over my other leather jacket (from Gap in 2010) which has military styling and tends to hide the fact that you have boobs. The leather of this Betty Jackson creation has a gorgeously soft and luxurious feel. It's styling is toned-down, plain, without embellishments. I like the narrow collar very much. Something for a well-dressed and grown-up girls' night out. Like the night out I'm having at a local restaurant next week with two (maybe three) natal girls. This jacket, a cami-top, and jeggings. It cost £174, reduced from £249, so I saved £75. Can't be bad.

Apart from the Avoca jacket, the colours and styles here are all muted and easy to live with, and will go with plenty of things that I already have. The much more quirky Avoca is best suited a certain type of country outfit. It's not to everyone's taste - hence the big sale discount - but I can't help liking it as a fun thing to wear. It makes me smile:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford