Wednesday, 8 February 2012

This is getting annoying

For days now, I've been unable to get any mobile phone reception in my local area. I was putting it down to the very high atmospheric pressure, the cold weather, the snow, but I've now discovered that Vodafone's coverage is being affected by a 'temporary fault'. Right. So it's a question of waiting till it's fixed. But meanwhile, it's inconvenient and quite annoying.

I do of course have a landline, and I do have broadband, and so I can receive and make landline voice calls, look at the Internet, and receive and send emails using the PC. But it's not nearly so quick and convenient. The two telephone handsets in the house are of course tethered (one in the hall, one next to the PC in the study; there isn't one in my lounge where I want to remain all curled up and cosy). And firing up the PC just to check for emails is a procedure that takes several minutes, not only because the PC still runs overbloated Windows Vista, but also because of those pesky pop-ups that remind me that 'a new update is ready to install' for this and that. It seems that the startup process halts in its tracks unless you dismiss each of these. The Java one especially winds me up. It never seems to get the message that I really don't want to know. I'm not the slightest bit excited about a Java update, nor an Adobe Reader update come to that. I am mildly interested in Windows updates, but only when I have the time and inclination, say every couple of weeks. Meanwhile, they can all push off. How dare they all get in the way of instant access to what really matters!

But access to texts, emails and the Internet is fast and easy on my mobile phone, and there are no pop-up reminders. No wonder mobile phones have made home computers almost redundant for communication. Although they are most definitely not a cheap alternative. And that's partly why one's feathers get ruffled very easily when the service is less than perfect. But sheer comfort and convenience matter too. It's cold outside: I don't want to go out, and take my phone high up onto the South Downs, just to get a signal from the Brighton transmitter, or relay, or whatever apparatus propagates the texts and emails that I'm expecting, and can't presently get.

Thank goodness I'm not pathetically addicted to Facebook or Twitter. The agony would be intense. Extreme cold turkey indeed.

SEQUEL
No sooner were these ranting words sent into the Ether, than service was restored. And it's better than before. A signal to die for. Thank you, Vodafone. But I'm not retracting my scorn of Facebook et al.

1 comment:

  1. I have had a similar experience with 3 and my connection when at home but I have put that down to the double glazing. When once the signal was strong in the front room it is now weaker. The phone companies are quick to take the cash aren't they? Late last year I purchased an untetherd house phone which has a 300yd range so I can use it when outside. I was fed up of missing calls when outside the house. Now when I go into the garden I take both phones with me. Vista is a pain so I am told. E has it on the computer I bought for her when Vista was fairly new. Mine uses Windows 7 but it still updates like they all do. The updates are automatic but I have to acknowledge them before they will instal because sometimes they need the machine to be restarted for the updates to take effect. They are inportant things you know Lucy as often they are to do with security issues and if not installed you could find even more problems. Other updates are to do with adjustments to Vista software which one assumes will 'improve the experience' to quote the phrase. I know they are inconvenient but they are necessary. It is annoying though isn't it when they pop up at the time you want to be doing something else?
    I couldn't imagine myself writing all this stuff on my mobile phone. I just wouldn't do it. My mobile is for making phone calls and I don't do the Internet when I'm out of the house for the day, I prefer the comfort of my armchair when browsing and making comments.
    Speaking about Facebook. Well that is one program I am definitely not interested in. I cannot see the point of it to be honest. One thing also that puts me off is that many businesses, organisations, institutions as well as individuals direct you to their pages, maybe for interaction as in competitions or in response to an advert or whatever. When you go there you are requested to join Facebook before you can read their pages! That means those of us that do not wish to join Facebook are left out of the equation. A bit naughty don't you think? Many other organisations don't expect you to join if you only wish to browse. No, Facebook will not get my membership thank you very much!

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford