Tuesday, 3 January 2012

The tipping point

The Sixty is the name for the general compulsory killing ordered for humans living on planet Earth in the far future, as described in Isaac Asimov's 1950 novel Pebble in the Sky. Earth then is a planet that can't support a big population, certainly not a retired one, and so everybody has to submit to a draconian appraisal process at age sixty. Almost without exception, they are put down. The 'hero' in the book is sixty two, and obviously in danger!

I read the book in my early teens, and it greatly added to my insecurities. I felt it could easily come true, and that if I survived to age 60 I too would be killed off. This would happen in 2012. It was very discouraging.

Remember, the threat of a neuclear holocaust or some Day of the Triffids type disaster was a perfectly reasonable fear in the 1960s. I used to imagine all kinds of scenarios in which most people on the planet would be killed, but I would survive, stay alive, not go under, and find a way of living successfully in a changed and hostile world. It had a kind of appeal. I was already living a life full of secrets, feeling very alone, and I was prepared to do anything it took to succeeed in a different world. I almost wanted it to happen! At least I would take charge of my life, and stand or fall on what I did or thought best.

This 'waiting for the collapse of society' attitude continued for many years. As soon as I could drive, I identified where the gun shops were, so that I could instantly arm myself. I was fully prepared to kill or be killed, and be a defiant and cunning warrior. It had to be faced: in a world in which all the old constraints had been swept away, personal survival was everything.

This apocalyptic mood passed. The near-certainty that mankind would blow itself up, or unleash some virus against which few would be immune, became less insistant. Eventually it seemed more likely that we would all succomb instead to general starvation or a meteor hit.

And now 2012 has actually arrived. The world is certainly not perfect, nor a completely safe place, but there has been no fall from the tightrope. Apart from a little sabre-rattling here and there, the emphasis is on facing the challenges of reducing resources, and climate change, and coping with an unprecedented series of natural disasters. No country is escaping the worldwide effects of worsening weather. No country will preserve its old ways intact. A total wipe-out seems unlikely, but we must all adapt. The forces of nature override everything and everyone. Competitiveness does not pay. But cooperation might. And I think there are many signs that old-style nationalistic and cultural ambitions are being abandoned. We have also suddenly realised that too much is in the hands of the money men. Time for something better than that.

I rather look forward to the unfolding events of 2012. I think it will be a tipping point, and that it will be remembered as the year in which the world went in a new and better direction.

At least I'm confident that I won't be given a lethal pill or injection when I reach 60 in July!

2 comments:

  1. They've moved the compulsary taking of the pill to September Lucy so it will give you that extra month to go and buy that gun! Whilst I was reading the first half, well almost all of your post I thought how negative an outlook you must have had. Things certainly have changed since we were young and not all things for the better I have to admit. Society these days is a difficult place in which to live. Life is precious but it isn't respected by many, you only have to read the news about stabbings, shootings and violence in general to know how sick society is. Moral standards have declined immensely and I could suggest why that has become so but I may not be believed.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hope that I would be a survivor, but as I got older and learnt more, I think it might be better to be one of the ones wiped out.

    Some people say that the world will end this year. i think it will end as we know it. Capitalism doesn't pay and, like you say, the climate is not the same anymore.

    I don't think it will do mankind too much harm to come down a peg or two

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford