Monday, 23 January 2012

Encounters in a tavern

Last Saturday evening, I was in a Winchester pub with two friends - the St James Tavern on Romsey Road it was - and at one point I was at the bar ordering another round of post-shopping, pre-dinner drinks. There was a man there, and a conversation developed between us. He was older than me (72 it emerged) and he was nice, but he was also a widower. He had lost his wife from illness just a month before. Without thinking, I immediately expressed the utmost sympathy in my posture and voice, and it must have obvious in my face as well. I even touched him very lightly and briefly on his arm. For the death of a life partner must always command respect and concern. I could not help my gesture.

He was not full of sorrow, or self-pity, as might easily have been the case. He had clearly not let his standards slip. He had remained a pleasant older man. He had dignity. I found myself hoping that he would, after a while, find someone to fill the gap torn in his life. We did not speak longer than ten minutes. I did mention - to claim I suppose some basis for 'understanding' what great loss meant - that both my parents had died in 2009 in rapid succession. But I was quick to add that this wasn't the same as the death of his wife. And it really wasn't. Her death had come unnaturally early. Parents are not chosen, however dearly loved. The emotional investment in someone you find for yourself, and commit your life to, is of a quite different order.

The evening's birthday festivities at a nearby restaurant - the Tanoshii Fusion - pushed the encounter from my mind for a while, but I returned to it later, and pondered on what might be learned. Let's see:

# A man I'd never met before had noticed me. He thought I was a 'young woman' - I know this because he said so. I corrected him on this mistaken impression, but it made no difference. He also thought me worth talking to: someone likely to know what he was speaking about.

# Once again it was an older man at a bar, the only kind I seem to catch the eye of! That might mean that I have a particular appeal for older men with some living behind them, some experience. Perhaps I seemed 'safe'. I didn't for a moment feel that this man was physically attracted to me, only that he felt comfortable enough about me to disclose some of his life. Which might mean that I looked empathetic, and a good listener. People used to think this about me in my past life, at least when I was in my twenties and thirties.

# I didn't mind being thought a nice woman and a willing listener. It seemed to me rather a pleasant thing to be regarded in that way. It was a quiet, useful social role that I could manage. My Dad used to say that I'd make a very good hospital visitor - the sort of person who would speak to patients in hospital and cheer them up; complete strangers who needed some human concern and some human conversation.

# But supposing that I lived in Winchester and encountered this man, or someone very like him, again? And a friendship came into being, bit by bit? And at some stage he began to explore the possibility of something closer? After all, where empathy leads, intimacy can follow. Would I want that? It would not be part of my plans, not at all.

# What if it were a woman, and not a man, who opened up to me and drew me in? Surely this version of 'getting together' would begin differently and develop differently? Less sentiment, more practicality, more directness perhaps, once a bond was established? Maybe. Maybe not. The truth is, I don't know.

# None of the many much younger men in the Tavern looked at me. Perhaps I wasn't interesting to them. And yet, I was the person that a man on the next table approached. It was a foursome, two men, two women, all thirtyish, and it was the birthday of one of the women. Could I take a photo of them all? Of course I could. All was laughter and goodwill. The man was from Glasgow, but lived in Winchester, as did the birthday woman and the other man. The second woman was from Stevenage, north of London, and visiting. I said that one of the friends on our table, and myself, had also driven a fair distance to be here, and that that we were celebrating a birthday too. And 'our' birthday girl had a Stevenage connection - how was that? More amazed laughter and goodwill. Here they are, although Glasgow man (on the left) has been caught in between smiles!


Interesting, when you study the shot, to see what look the girls have thought good for themselves, for a birthday meal in a city tavern with two guys.

Next it was our turn: pictures of ourselves taken by the Stevenage girl on the right, with my own camera. It was all so spontaneous and natural. Nobody noticed we were trans. It didn't seem to occur to anyone, ourselves included. Just some ordinary girls, all ready for a night out.

What threads will hang on that evening? What lesson was learned that I haven't yet seen, but will turn out to be the most important one of all?

How do the accidental things in life fit into any deliberate scheme for living?

3 comments:

  1. Close relationships are important in life and feature often in blog posts about post transitional life.

    A holistic view of life would show that a circle of close friends and outer circles of acquaintances are the foundation to a happy life, one special close relationship might just be the cherry on the cake but would you trade all your friends for one close relationship? Probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It marks another notch on your developement as a woman, to use your own words Lucy. You have been recognised as simply an older respectable woman out with friends. Who knows what lies ahead for you, or for any of us really? You know in your heart what your reactions might be to any future romantic advances and I fancy you like the idea as long as it is on your terms, those you mentioned in your previous post. I favour Caroline's view on relationships/friendships on your part. It would be the same for me too!
    Whilst reading about the old guy at the bar I couldn't help thinking that is exactly what I do myself when out in the world. I simply love chatting with people face to face. Better over a glass of wine or two though!

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are bound to be more of these 'real life' posts as I slowly spread my wings. One day, who knows, there will be something really amazing to relate!

    In the meantime, I can explore these experiences in my posts. I hope they confirm that everyone can have a life after transition.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford