Friday, 16 December 2011

One less record, a few minutes more time gained

This morning I discovered that the vast 2011 Transition Costs spreadsheet on my PDA had become corrupted. This was a Windows Mobile document, and I was a little surprised because WM has, on the whole, proved very stable. But it seemed no problem to deal with, because I had a very recent backup. Unfortunately that too was corrupted. And would you believe it, until only yesterday I had regular half-weekly backups going back over the entire past month - any one of which might have been uncorrupted and usable - but a routine diary prompt had made me delete all save that last one! Damn.

The only other backup left was the general half-yearly one I made of everything on my PDA, PC and laptop on 30 September. So I got that out, and copied the 2011 costs spreadsheet onto my PC. But the last entry on it was dated 26 September.

So, would I now recreate everything from 1 October to the present? Or just let the 2011 spreadsheet finish at the end of September?

All my record-keeping instincts said 'Recreate! You can do it easily!'. But actually I decided to simply file the thing away and just keep it for occasional reference only. After all, the genital op - the essential culmination of all my transition costs - was as long ago as last March, and despite what I said in Costs, costs, costs on 25 November, perhaps the time really had come to shed this particular financial analysis and move on without it. One less thing to maintain.

The way I saw it, something had intervened. Presumably a gremlin, but it might have been a divine hand for all I knew, and it was telling me to use my time more profitably. So be it.

5 comments:

  1. This whole eta of human history may just vanish now that it has gone digital and in need of constant maintenance. Odd when yo think of the five hundred year old documents I was looking at just an hour ago...

    Most significant costs have been paid by now and the new life beckons, I made a point of not keeping a record of hair removal costs because I did not want to scare myself!

    Happy christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Lucy I couldn't really understand why you wanted to keep a record in the first place but of course I am not you am I? Nevertheless it must be a bind to find that all your efforts have somehow gone down the digital plughole. What choices are there? Try to remember the events and expenditure or simply let go and move on? I know what I would do.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, not all of my efforts. I still have a complete (and analysed) record of my transition expenditure from 1 July 2008 to 30 September 2011 - over three years - and this will be interesting to look back on, as least for me.

    And I really do have all I need to reconstruct 1 October to now from other financial records.

    But just when do you stop? Left to myself, I wasn't likely to. I had already set up the 2012 spreadsheet. Some might say this was record-keeping entirely for its own sake. I see their point. But I would have carried on to at least 2013, when I expected my electrolysis to finally tail off to occasional maintenance only. I'm not unhappy that an electronic hiccup has saved me the trouble, although I would have stubbornly refused to comply if any person had tried to argue me out of it. I'm that perverse!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad, i didn't understand any of that!

    Perhaps it's best not to know just how much it has cost you.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford