Thursday, 15 December 2011

Fences down

I'd rather hoped that once the Cottage was sold last August the financial pressure would be off; but there's been one unexpected expense after another since then, and my remaining pot of money has continued to shrink. I hope things are different in 2012!

The latest unplanned mishap that will cost a lot of dosh to fix was waiting for me yesterday morning. We'd had exceptionally strong winds overnight and they blew down a section of my fencing. Here's the damage:












Some of the fence panels and posts (those adjacent to the greenhouse) had been damaged beyond redemption and would certainly have to be replaced. Closer to the house, the fences and posts were still standing but had clearly been shaken about, and would probably go down if we had another wild night this winter. If I decided to have a proper job done, with concrete posts and upgraded panels, I would be looking to replace 18 metres (say 60 feet) of fencing. You can imagine the cost of that. Ouch.

However, first the wooden debris had to be broken up and mostly burned. With the help of my next door neighbour, who had a chain saw, this was accomplished by midday today. Then I set to, clearing the garden edge next to what was left of the fence panels still standing. I put in two hours steady work unaided, and managed to clear several metres:













Although the gardeners among you will pooh-pooh this as a feeble start, believe me, I was impressed with myself. No gardening whatever had been possible for three months after my op in March, as I felt so weak, and I only gradually regained some physical strength and the ability to bend. I'm afraid the garden edges, somewhat neglected since 2009, got overgrown and unruly. In a way, this fence damage has done me a favour: I will at last have to see to all the accumulated lopping and pruning and digging that I've been putting off. And not just on this side of the garden - the other sides as well. And repair the greenhouse. And scrape the moss off my patio. And it must all be finished before the snow arrives.

But all this effort is going to make me fit and burn off some calories! Now that's better news.

And I'm very glad to say that two hours of unaccustomed excercise this afternoon did not leave me with an aching back. It was a surprise, but I survived and I feel greatly encouraged to carry on.

Here I am, late in the afternoon, feeling rather cheerful about how well my lopping and pruning and shovelling were going:


If I lived in a flat (or a houseboat) I wouldn't have a garden and wouldn't have to maintain it. But I think I'd be missing a lot. I aim to get it back to its former glory, which is perfectly possible.

But until the job is fully done, the little squirrel who likes to visit my garden is going to be upset, and I expect to be scolded for messing about in his territory!

4 comments:

  1. I love you blog you are having the best time of your life SO...
    don't "overwork " yourself, a little at a time, a then time of a cup of tea! I want to you enjoying times ahead and don't want to hear your flat on your back hurting so take your time, us care. hugs:-) karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of you misfortune. Maybe you could call in the Ground Force (I sure miss that show!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think you have done remarkably well all things considered Lucy. Whatever what some people say, gardening is hard work! You mustn't overdo things though. Usually if you have worked strenuously when not used to it, there will be no pain the following day but sometimes the day after that might bring on an ache or two. Wooden fencing certainly doesn't stand very high winds unless it is very substantial fencing. Isn't it always the way that expensive repairs rear their ugly head when you can least afford them? During the last onslaught of high winds the smaller of our two greenhouses ( a cheap one we bought before we got the other) has sustained much damage to its plastic panels. I plan to replacee the plastic panels with glass sometime early next year at least on the roof and the side which faces the open view to the west. It is nice to have a garden but they can be hard work especially if you neglect them too long. Do take care though, there's always tomorrow, it doesn't all have to be done in a day.

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy, how about planting a hedge, good time of year for it and it makes it's own foundations...

    Don't over do it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford