Thursday, 27 October 2011

Breasts and bras

Yesterday, for the first time, there was a distinct and unmistakable six-inch difference between my bust as measured over the nipples, and the under-bust measurement. That is, 113cm versus 97cm, which converts to 6.3ins. That difference had been hovering around 5.9ins for a while, 'roughly six inches' to be sure, but not quite there, although of course well within the margin of error you can expect when using a tape, and doing it yourself.

But now the difference in measurements has taken a decisive step in the right direction. I thought that my breasts were getting a bit more noticeable. 

Although still diminuitive, these breasts are entirely natural and self-grown. They are the right shape, have a certain weight to them, and they wobble about in an independent way. A purist would criticise them for looking too young and fresh on an old chest: by rights they should by now be dragged down by a lifetime fighting gravity, with stretch marks, perhaps a bit flat and empty, more like half-deflated party balloons than pert, thrusting upstarts. But I'm not going to listen to purists.

They're an achievement, and I'm proud of them. I am able to report that they feel tender on waking in the morning, and of course that's one sign that they are still likely to grow further. I've no idea what my mother's breast size was in her prime, and no sisters to confer with, so the ultimate measurements are a mystery. Not much larger, though, I suspect!

Mind you, with a 97cm (38.2in) chest to rest on, they will look odd if they grow too much.

That chest size is large for an ordinary woman, and leads to problems finding a bra to fit. I had been using an AA cup, and although an A is better nowadays, it's not easy sourcing 38A or 40A bras, because mature women with big chests usually have big boobs to match. It's a problem I share with obese teenage girls, who must be in despair over the lack of bras in shops to fit them - no wonder they resort to comfort eating! Marks & Spencer do carry a range of teen bras in these unusual sizes, but you'll not often see them in any of their stores. You have to go online, and then it's a bit hit or miss with the fit. However, that's how I've gradually amassed my collection of wearable bras.


It would be nice to develop a small chest and narrow shoulders, but legacy skeletal features that the hormones can't do much about, like ribs, stop the show. And if I lose a lot of weight, get a flat toned stomach, and slim those hips down, it might all look worse. To have an unmistakably female build, you've got to have more bulk below the navel than above it. And, ideally, a waist for arms to go round, and breasts that catch the eye at a thousand paces.

6 comments:

  1. It's an age old problem Lucy, getting the correct sized bra. There will be one for you of course, it's just finding it. The other problem is that there is a lack of consistency in bra sizes just as in clothes sizes. For years I was wearing a 38B until I got measured and was told that a C or even a D cup was more suitable. The main problem is finding someone who knows properly how to measure you.
    So you have 'pert' breasts! Smiles...I have implants which were fitted beneath the chest muscles as opposed to on top where they would be subject to the dreaded droop but in doing so I too have very pert breasts that will never sag.
    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about getting some bra extenders, Lucy? 38A bras may indeed be hard to find, but 34A are not, and with an extender they will fit perfectly.

    (Not my idea, by the way, but my aunt Sarah's) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new growth!

    I remember you posting about bras before. I have problems because I have a wide back and small breasts. there is some lovely inderwear around but I'm just too large and too small for it at the same time.

    I have an extender which is nearly at the end of its life. i wonder where you can buy those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anji - I did a quick Google search; M&S and Amazon came out tops @ £5 each.

    Angie xx

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford