Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Swimsuit gets its first public outing

Avid readers of this blog may recall my buying two one-piece swimsuits, one in black and one in navy blue with white spots on. Neither had been further than my back garden till now. It was time to be bold and wear one of them at the seaside. Today was, once again, bright and sunny. So I made an effort and got out in Fiona by mid-morning. I chose the black swimsuit, which looks like this:


I put on a very loose pair of black linen cropped trousers, as I was popping into Sainsbury's for some diesel on the way. In case it was breezy, I had with me a burgundy-coloured cord jacket with turned-up sleeves by Seasalt, but there was no need to don this for driving along, and I left it off at the filling station. (Obviously I wanted to give all the men an eyeful of under-arm flab: they love it)

My destination was Ferring. Now this is a place on the coast west of Worthing, and is one of the very few spots between Selsey Bill and Beachy Head that doesn't have a backdrop of bungalows or beach huts. Instead there's farmland, a wide greensward, and the beach.


It's very open, and therefore inclined to be windy, but when calm it's a great place for sunning yourself before pottering on the beach or strolling up the coast in the Kingston Gorse direction to the Blue Bird Cafe. This isn't a cliffy part of the Sussex coast. It's absolutely flat:


That's exactly how it was. I walked down there after scoffing my sandwich and smoothie. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Having parked (it's free!) I set up my deck chair, took off the trousers, and settled down to bask:

As you can see, decently strong sunshine, and so warming when the wind died down for a few seconds. But most of the time, it was a persistent breeze that raised goose-pimples on my arms, and after 15 minutes I had to put the jacket on. But I left my legs uncovered, as I wanted to give them a tan.

It crossed my mind that this was a first. I'd never before worn anything like this in public. But I reckoned that the body looked adequately authentic for a middle-aged woman, and that I should have nothing to fear, especially as the surgery area was being flaunted - in a sense my credentials were on full view, merely masked by a clingy garment. I was actually the only person brave enough to wear a swimsuit in the wind, but it didn't seem in any way out of place. And once walking down on the shore, it felt even more natural. The only embarrassing thing was my pallid legs:


Perhaps on Thursday, if the weather holds, I'll give the other swimsuit an outing - and try to get more sun on those legs!

6 comments:

  1. Even though we are told to be careful about too much uv and so forth, that tan on the bod is so wonderful. Remember to slip the straps down from time to time to avoid lines on the shoulders! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how liberated I felt wearing a bikini in Hawaii three months after surgery. It was often breezy there too, but just a tad warmer. :) Enjoy your wonderful freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice day. Hope it wasn't too breezy on the south coast.
    Lucie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lucy
    I came across your lovely photo of Ferring beach on Google and wondered if I could use it to illustrate an article in our magazine. Would that be ok please?
    Many thanks
    Kristina Thomas Editor Sussex Local
    01903 868474 info@sussexlocal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucy
    I came across your lovely photo of Ferring beach on Google and wondered if I could use it to illustrate an article in our magazine. Would that be ok please?
    Many thanks
    Kristina Thomas Editor Sussex Local
    01903 868474 info@sussexlocal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lucy
    I came across your lovely photo of Ferring beach on Google and wondered if I could use it to illustrate an article in our magazine. Would that be ok please?
    Many thanks
    Kristina Thomas Editor Sussex Local
    01903 868474 info@sussexlocal.net

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford