Friday, 15 April 2011

Bikini reloaded

The ongoing bikini saga. Will I ever find one that looks good?

I mentioned in Lucy models swimwear! Hmmmm (four posts back) that I wasn't happy with how I looked in a bikini. The midriff bulge was the main problem, but of course it wasn't the only one. At my age, I simply haven't got the slender beauty of a young girl, and that in itself is a basic reason why revealing attire might be best avoided! I mean, let's be frank and realistic. I thought I looked fine in both my one-piece swimsuits, but the bikini I tried on was not flattering, to put it mildly. It wasn't a horror story by any means, but I'd feel embarrassed stepping into the public eye with my tummy so much on view. And I'm never going to have a flat tummy. If I want proper boobs, a certain amount of plumpness here and there must go with it. A reasonable trade-off, I reckon; but the Melford abdomen must stay rounded and cuddly, unless casual exercise tightens up the old muscles.

But one must never give up. I went back to M&S and tried on two other bikinis, including the original in a different size:


You see only the top here, size 16. It was a bit tight, and size 18 would have been better, but M&S had sold them all in that style. The bottom half, although it had size 16 on the hanger, was actually size 10, and obviously I couldn't get it on. So those are actually my black knickers.

Looking at this shot, I think it would be possible to source a bikini top that looked acceptable, but a bikini bottom is going to be a real problem. The knickers conceal much of the offending flesh, but they hardly look glamorous, even with the lace edging.

But if you imagine a bikini bottom that resembles tight-fitting shorts, that isn't a good look for me either. In fact I don't look right in any kind of shorts - my legs don't suit them. To my eye anyway, whenever I wear shorts, tight or floppy, they make me look male from the waist down. Which of course is a no-no. I look much better in cropped jeans, but they are really a different animal entirely.

Oh well. In the end I bought two lightweight cotton kaftans instead, in white and black, to wear over the one-pieces as sun shields, or perhaps to wear as ordinary tops with leggings or cropped jeans. Here's the black one:


It's plain and simple, comfortable, and hides the fat well. And only £9.50. Say no more then. I actually had a £20 net refund at the till, after getting credit for the abandoned bikinis and shorts. I felt rather pleased, walking away with that net refund, although there's an error of logic in there because I'd still spent some cash!

The likelihood of getting down to a Sussex beach for spot of sunshine is increasing daily. My healing is coming along well, and I think Birling Gap or Eastbourne will be a possibility quite soon. Or, in the other direction, Littlehampton or Climping. Oh to be able to hitch up the caravan and head off to the West Country! To Woolacombe, say:


Or paddle in the shallows at Bude:


But that's months away. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford