Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Peeing after surgery

With the catheter removed, my first two peeing efforts at the Nuffield Hospital weren't promising. I had (as a slight complication) to sit over a special paper bowl that fitted into the toilet pan: this caught the urine and allowed measurement. But my peeing technique was bad. Crouched forward as I was, just a few puny drops came past my swollen labia in pee number one. It was enough to take the pressure off for an hour. Pee number two was more copious, half a bladder-full surely, but, leaning forward, I stretched my suture-lines too much. This induced enough pain to make me whimper. And there was blood in the urine. But the nurse was very reassuring: blood was to be expected, and I'd see less and less of it in the future. (This was perfectly true. No blood now) And it was OK to pee standing up in the bath, or in any position that avoided stretching those suture lines.

So my remaining pees at the Nuffield were unashamed, abandoned, down-the-left-leg-while-standing jobs. Nice long ones, as much as possible squeezed out. There was no pain. I found that if I stood with my legs well apart, I had a proper straight-down, big-waterfall cascade.

Real uro fetish stuff, this! Although I hasten to say that personally I can't see the fascination of deliberately peeing into your knickers/jeans/Darth Vader disguise/whatever just to feel some warm wetness. I like to be dry, fragrant and very clean at all times.

Once home, some concerns re-emerged. Could I really use my toilet at all? Wouldn't I get suture-line torture again? But those fears were groundless. All I had to do was lean backwards a little, and not crouch. And I was helped by the long slanting grab handles on either side of the narrow toilet that Dad had installed: so wonderfully handy to rest your entire arms on, or to pull on for a hover, say! Thank you, Dad!

And I can still pee in the shower, if more convenient.

So this part of my immediate homecoming, so potentially fraught with problems, has been rapidly coped with and there seems nothing to worry about. Each pee has been better than the last. Once the swellings have gone down it seems pretty clear that I'll have a strong downward jet to be proud of!

Number 2s have at no point been a problem. But they seem even easier with that lean-back position.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that this very important part of your recovery is going well!

    I had been peeing sitting down for years before surgery, so maybe I already knew the position. The thing I had to remember was not to put my hand down there! Nothing to move into position any more. I sprayed for a while, I can't remember how long, but that got better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to here that everything came out OK!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that it is all working. I still find it remarkable that they can fashion a device which works out of the scraps left behind, thank goodness they can.

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caroline

    That's one of the easiest parts of this operation. I believe the sphincter is left where it was before (which would have been at the base of the penis). The shortened urethra works just as it does for women born female-bodied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The following may or may not be of interest, depending on how concerned one is about the physical differences between the way males and females pee.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urethral_sphincter

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed your homecoming. I hope that you're warm and cosy again by now.

    Reminds me of my first pee after the babies were born. Once that's over the rest is plain sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this not often discussed topic. It is one of my areas for concern as I follow in your footsteps but your post is reassuring. I can confess that as a scuba diver I ocassionaly found great comfort in the "warm wetness" aspect to which you alude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting the pour right is a mystery, have you seen how few teapots pour well after hundreds of years making these devices!?

    Just glad that they can create a good jet.

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford