Wednesday, 9 March 2011

I'm home!

Tut, tut. A three-day gap in posting is a bit lax! But I hope I can be excused for dropping standards like this.

The really big news is that I'm home again. Since yesterday at around 11:15am. No matter how nice the hospital, just being home is such a tonic! Your own place, your own bed, your own food, your own routine.

The sun was shining brightly as R--- drove me away from the Brighton Nuffield. A good omen! She'd researched a cunning route that minimised potholes and bumps for the twenty-five minute drive. How about that for looking after my comfort? What a joy it was to see my bungalow come into view, with the caravan and Fiona parked outside. There was my neighbour J---, with a quick word for us, and a warning that my house felt chilly inside. Oh dear. Yes, the boiler had stopped working. Hey ho! Let's get in, have a cup of tea, and relax a bit before getting worked up about anything like that!

Within the hour, I'd mostly unpacked, opened my mail, and was settled in Dad's green reclining chair, which has a motor, and can be controlled electronically. Bliss. The boiler wasn't going to get fixed that day, of course, so I asked R--- to get out the winter-warmth duvets for my bed, and for hers in the lounge, and I lent her a snug green dressing-gown: I was already in my long, furry oh-so-warm dressing gown. We selected meals to defrost and eat that night, and then R--- went off to work. She'll be staying with me for the first three or four nights, until it's certain that it's completely OK to leave me unattended overnight.

I began trying to get in touch with M---, my usual boiler man, eventually succeeding in late afternoon. He would come next day, his wife said, late in the morning probably. They'd actually just returned from her mother's funeral. In the circumstances, this was very decent service indeed. Soon after that, my cleaning lady T--- arrived. Another cup of tea and a chat. Then, while she got on with her tasks, I sank back and chilled - almost literally at first! Then the sun came round a bit, and the lounge filled with light and temporary warmth. I made sure to draw the curtains before sunset, to keep in that warmth.

I stayed reclined until after T--- left, when the need to pee drove me to the toilet.

I'd had the catheter whipped out by Mr Thomas personally on the day before, my last afternoon at the Nuffield. He'd apologised for having to stay up in London because of Charing Cross Hospital commitments during the preceding two days. I said I willingly forgave him. He examined my new bits, clearly very happy with his work, assuring me that there had been no major complications, and giving me information on the healing process. He really was in a delightfully cheerful, almost boyish mood. I felt very much committed to follow to the letter what he best advised.

Let's leave the homecoming there for now. Peeing will be the subject of the next post. Forget the surgery. Other things are just as important!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home! I imagine I'm not the only one who was a bit concerned with no postings, but then some probably had your phone number or other ways to contact you. So glad all is well! And warm now.

    You're right about peeing. That's something we do a lot more than other things. An integral part of one's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another follower here who has been eagerly awaiting your posting. Glad to hear you are home and I hope you can soon be warm. Hailstones here in Ramsbottom today! I now await your next installment.
    Best wishes, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, good to have news again, and to know you are being well cared for.

    My first reaction to reading the boiler had gone out was to think about frozen pipes... LOL. You can tell what it is like where I live. :)

    Halle
    xox

    ps. my word verification is "prunalai". Sounds like some sort of beverage I hope you do not need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now your life can start in earnest Lucy! Glad all went well for you. Best wishes and love

    Shirley Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boilers only fail at the most inopportune moments!

    Glad you have made it home safely through the mine field we call the road system and look forward to your tales of peeing. This is still the part of the process which still concerns me!

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home - so pleased that things have gone well for you!

    Take care,
    Stace

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford