Thursday, 17 March 2011

Hospital pictures 1

I took some 200 photos while at the Nuffield. I wanted to document it well, gory bits and all. You won't see anything intimate (and necessarily bloody, swollen, and likely to make you flinch) here - nor on my Flickr site. But there were plenty of myself looking cheerful - not all taken by myself of course - which reveal the pilgrim's progress. Here's a selection of the best, or at least part 1 of that.

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to process them at home. But it takes time, I had to do it at an awkward angle, and I kept falling asleep!

First, how I used to look, three days before admission, at my cousin R---'s. We'd been to Canterbury. Here I look wistfully at a Jacques Vert silk dress that I've just bought, but can't wear for at least two months:


Now fast forward to admission day. The plate on my room at the Nuffield:


Mr Philip Thomas; Miss Lucy Melford. Yep, the right combo.


A bit later. The afterrnoon is turning into early evening. I'm alone. Was there something just a little nervous in that smile? I'm afraid there was! Gulp.


Then I relaxed. Hey-ho, what's an operation? Just a few nips and tucks.


In fact, by early next morning - surgery day - and once dolled up in theatre togs, I began to feel rather light-hearted. Here I'm actually having a little dance. Twist and shout, baby!


Who's a cutie, then?


Oh no! The brittle smile is back! I can hear them coming to take me away! But the girl will be all right. In fact it'll be a gas.

The gods will surely smile on me. St David will protect me. And Fiona, Verity and the Jacques Vert dress await. I can't let them down.

To be continued with my wake up after the op...

2 comments:

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford