Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Further steps into the unknown

OK, just a couple more instances, both from today, of how I'm getting into hormone-driven deep water. Or is it mere self-indulgent sensation?

Scene 1: I'm driving back from Wiltshire, caravan in tow, and I pull into a favourite lay-by on the A272 between Petersfield and Rogate. As I get out of Fiona, there's a strange roaring from a large dark green vehicle that has followed me in. It's an armoured Army personnel carrier. It's far from home - nowhere near Salisbury Plain or Aldershot - but it's plain that the driver is under instruction. He's out for a practice run, and he's not alone. I look on, astonished at this sight in such a glade-like place. Then I skip into the caravan for a cup of tea and a calorie-controlled lunch. I want to get home, and don't waste time. As I fire up Fiona and edge forwards, I'm wondering whether I'll get by: it's a rather wide vehicle, that personnel carrier. The back door is open, revealing a functional but surprisingly civilised-looking interior.

Two alternative sequels now. Number one first.

I can't get by, and have to stop. I get out and the following exchange takes place:

'Excuse me, but I can't pass. Are you going to be long?'
'No love, just another couple of minutes.' (There's a snack trailer hard by and the driver and his mates are munching succulent bacon butties that whip at my taste buds)
'I've never seen inside one of these carriers before!'
'Come on up, love, and take a look.'
'Thanks. Is that where you sit when you drive? It's not much like a car, is it?'
'Go on, get in the seat, love, and we'll show you how it works.'
'This is brilliant. How would it be if you took a picture of me in the driving seat with that helmet on, and two of the lads giving a big thumbs-up behind? Just for the girls at home? Oh, please!' 

Sorry, it was fantasy, and so no photo.

Sequel number two. Reality. I just about squeeze past, getting pretty close to the snack trailer, causing several men to turn their heads. That's heads full of succulent bacon. No fantasy about that. Fiona launches herself into the main road with a smooth roar of her own, while I'm trying to ignore six pairs of fixated male eyes.

'Did you see that? A woman towing on her own.'
'Yeah. She's game.'
'Saw her parked down over there. Nice legs. Wearing a mini, too.'
'Fancy her then?'
'Wouldn't say no, if she played her cards right.'
'Me too. Nice bit of skirt. Bet she's a goer.'
'Yeah, begging for it.'
'Yeah.'

I'm sure they were saying those things. You could tell by the way they stood.

Scene 2: in the evening, in Brighton, at a pub called the Black Dove. This is a pleasant pub frequented by those who like wine and cocktails, with blues or jazz playing in the background. It's a straight pub, not for gays or lesbians. I'm there with two friends. At nearby tables young girls are in conversation. Twenty-somethings, all stylishly dressed, all absurdly beautiful. I suddenly feel that I want to speak to them, tell them who I am and what I am, and be like them, not merely female but thirty-five years younger and not trapped in a tired old body. The opportunity does not come. But somehow a kind of spiritual exchange does take place, a tantalising flow of energy or electricity, and something has been gained, if only better knowledge of how girls look when they speak to each other.

And a few hours later, these moments are still in my mind.

I feel like a planet being bombarded with meteors, my surface molten from the impacts.

5 comments:

  1. I think this all sounds lovely, as long as you're not finding it disturbing. All part of the learning experience.

    Were you really wearing a miniskirt? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I WAS wearing a black mini-skirt. Also black leggings and pumps, a purple top, and a chocolate-coloured fleece jacket with fur trim at the cuffs and collar. Ordinary comfortable travelling wear. I suppose I did show plenty of leg, if anyone cared to look. One man in a lorry parked facing me certainly looked, as did another in a van behind me, as I stepped out of the caravan. There's men for you.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy,

    This is the reason that I love to read your blog! You have such a wonderful imagination! I agree with Ariel, it all sounds lovely! I wish it would be so for you!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet dreams Lucy
    Who knows, if we think long enough about something happen, it may become reality in our own life.
    Just ride the emotions, enjoy the ebb & flow of feelings.
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember someone writing about how their world changed from black and white to colour when they transitioned. I think you're definately in colour.

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford