Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Dieting and KY Jelly

A week has passed since my last post! I seem to be one of a number of bloggers who have found themselves too busy to write anything. I've certainly been well occupied.

In the run-up to my surgery, losing weight on surgeon's orders is a top priority. My attempts to shed the pounds and kilogrammes started off rather slowly at the end of 2010, and paused over Christmas. But since 5 January I have set to with the emphasis on strict calorie control, recording in minute detail what I consume each day, and calculating the calories on each item. This is not something I'm going to keep up for the rest of 2011 - it takes time, and could turn obsessive - but it has revealed where I have been 'going wrong' and has shown 'what to do' if I want to lose a serious amount of weight on a sustainable basis, while still enjoying a balanced and satisfying diet full of interesting flavours.

This is how I do it. I am still eating my favourite things. But I am selecting the lower-calorie items, and applying strict portion control to limit the calorie intake. I have some electronic kitchen scales to help me measure the weight of quite minute quantities of foodstuffs. So I not only weigh the fillet steak I might eat, but also such things as the smear of olive oil I cook it with, and the dab of mustard or relish on my dinner plate.

My 'basal metabolic rate' is presently down to 1524 kcal - meaning that if I sit around all day and do nothing much, my body will need this amount of calories to tick over without digging into its fat reserves. So my recent daily goal has been to take in fewer than 1,524 calories a day, and if I can, move around. Here are the foodstuffs and drinks consumed on two typical days under the new regime:

Monday 17 January
Breakfast: one Ryvita with butter and marmalade; four dried apricots: 143 kcal
Lunch: four olives; one slice of toasted bread with butter; small portion of cheese: 303 kcal
Dinner: two sea bass fillets smeared in butter; two small potatoes; peas; french dressing and tomato ketchup: 635 kcal
Supper: crunchy nut cornflakes with milk; glass of milk: 340 kcal
Three cups of tea with milk; two black coffees: 79 kcal
Total: 1,500 kcal

Today, Wednesday 19 January
Breakfast: one Ryvita with butter and marmalade; four dried apricots: 143 kcal
Lunch: four olives; one Ryvita with butter and conserve; small portion of cheese: 303 kcal
Dinner: one chicken fillet smeared in butter; two small potatoes; one carrot; peas; gravy: 493 kcal
Supper: crunchy nut cornflakes with milk; glass of milk: 340 kcal
Three cups of tea with milk; one black coffee: 77 kcal
Total: 1,356 kcal

I haven't touched the Christmas Puddings, and I habitually do not buy sweets, cakes or biscuits.  Nor do I drink Coca-Cola or any other soft drinks. I only drink when out, and now I think to myself, as I sip my wine, '89 kcal per glass!'. It make a girl go carefully.

In the last fourteen days I have lost 3.2 kg (7.1 lbs). At that rate I can expect to get down to my target weight of 80 kg by 11 February. Maybe I will do better!

And now look at this:



Yes - a big box of KY Jelly in 82g tubes! I got 50 of them online from an outfit called Bondara.co.uk. That's Bondara as in Bondage: they sell all manner of sex toys, but I'm not proud and haughty, and their price for the KY Jelly, with free delivery on a specified day, was £190. Enough KY to dilate my head off.

And look:



They fit nicely into a chest of drawers by my bedside that I bought second-hand for the purpose last November. Handy.

Now I need a boatload of pads and panty liners. Ah, it's just like living a completely new life!

13 comments:

  1. When I first saw the title of your post, I thought you were going to tell us, that a slice of toast with a spread of KY Jelly, makes a nice low calorie snack. I'm so glad that wasn't the case!

    50 tubes of KY. Were you once a Scout? You seem to be prepared.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This big cache of KY will last for months. But I'll get through it eventually. Meanwhile a tube or two could make a novel and inexpensive Christmas present!

    KY Jelly on toast! Yum.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's just an awesome thing, Lucy! I never thought of ordering it by the case, but it makes so much sense.

    A Christmas gift for an interesting set of friends, perhaps :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't kept track of how much K-Y (or generic) jelly I've used over the course of a year, but I think it's less than 50 tubes. Maybe not. We can check back with you a year after your get back from surgery to see how your supply is holding up. :)

    Glad you are keeping yourself satisfied while being strict about calories and intake. I do notice a butter theme, however. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate you for posting such a great Blog. Naturopath Sydney use the latest health assessment testing equipment and deliver quality information that will allow your body to heal and return to health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate you for posting such a great Blog. Naturopath Sydney use the latest health assessment testing equipment and deliver quality information that will allow your body to heal and return to health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ariel:
    Items like butter need care. But a weighed scrape on a cracker, or a weighed smear over a chicken fillet before placing same in the oven,is using a risky foodstuff with full knowledge of the consequences. I know that the butter I spread on my Ryvita cracker ups my calorie intake by 36 kcal. On a slice of toast, it's 58 kcal. And a small knob in a pan is 109 kcal. Knowing this, I can use my favourite butter confidently when planning my meals.

    Once you have perfected a series of 'standard meals' with a known calorie count, you can slot them in and out of your weekly cooking. You can easily see what the day's calorie intake is going to be, and gauge the likely impact on your personal weight. This is obviously a sustainable procedure.

    I've tried 'crash dieting' in the past. It doesn't work for long. You need a balanced diet, and you need to feel that you can still eat some nice things, that treats are still possible. You must just keep in mind what the calories are. If, for example I want to consume three pork sausages, which would boost my calorie intake by 614 kcal, I would cut down on something else eaten that day, subject to maintaining a balanced diet. Unless this was for my evening meal, and I'd climbed a mountain, and had become skeletal with lost body fat!

    Lucy

    I think

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget your GP can prescribe 12 tubes of Aquagel like mine did, £7.20 or whatever charge is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @CFG:
    Thanks! And I will bear it in mind. I do like KY though.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the weight loss. Portion size is always what helps me lose weight in the end.

    The word verification is 'Jailli'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy, I quite agree. If you deprive yourself of too many favourite foods, you won't stick to your regime. The kind of portion control you're doing is the best way (with exercise). I was only ribbing you about the butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only time I lost a significant amount of weight was when the Company Nurse told me "Lose weight...or else!"

    You have a good reason to lose weight - your impending surgery. Right now I have no good reason, except that shedding a stone and a half would give me more energy, improve my looks and probably help me to live longer. But I can always start on that tomorrow. I guess that's why Weightwatchers is so successful - lose weight or face the music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not being a transitioning girl,my mind was boggling that KY Jelly was a part of your diet.I should have guessed it's real use of course.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford