Saturday, 25 December 2010

Nessun Dorma

I think 'Nessun Dorma' means 'None shall sleep', which is highly appropriate for these icy nights in the caravan, for despite a winter duvet, a hot water bottle, and sundry garments including socks and a sweater, I know how Captain Scott (aka Scott of the Antarctic) felt as his toes froze off. And my version of Oates' heroic exit into the bitterly cold night was re-enacted tonight as I made a valiant attempt to set up the satellite TV when it was minus one outside. After an hour and mutterings that included the words 'bugger this' and 'company of soldiers' I gave it up. It wasn't the very best way to spend Christmas Day evening!

Instead I went off to have a piping hot shower and wash my hair, and then, restored, cook up my steak dinner. And I have to say it looked and tasted wonderful. A massive improvement on last year's dreadful cremation. Give me a good meal and you have a happy person. Appetising food, or TV? No contest. Great food, or rampant sex? Again, absolutely no contest. I wouldn't miss a fantastic meal for anything or anyone!

And the diet? It's coming on fine. My 'lunch' in Padstow had to be that apple. There was no food to be had. Two of the pubs were open, but serving only drinks. So I was able to have a Christmas Day gin-and-tonic in the warm, but no pasty or sandwich to go with it. Padstow was almost deserted at three o'clock in the afternoon. Everyone was indoors tucking into their Christmas Dinner, no doubt. Sigh. Angie and Sue (it was actually Sue's idea) had invited me over to join the family fun and good cheer at their house, but proud and haughty Miss Independent had turned this down. I did ponder the wisdom of this rash act as I munched my apple on a frosty seat above the town!

Getting back to 'Nessun Dorma', this operatic song is featured on a CD that Dad had, and which I'd brought along in order to have some civilised music while washing in the mornings. It was a compilation that came free with the Daily Express (Dad was a lifelong Express reader) entitled 'Football Passion' with a footnote 'Featuring rousing Classical pieces to support England'. It was produced in 2004, so I'm guessing it had something to do with the World Cup. For a giveaway gift, this was a cracking good collection of dramatic music, with items by not only Puccini, but Wagner, Verdi, Rimsky-Korsakov, Grieg, Mascagni, Mozart, Rossini, Faure, Bizet, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven. Someone had a lot of fun putting all that together. Most of it had very, very little connection with football. And sadly, six years on, the England fans do not seem to have embraced serious music. Perhaps they all read the Mirror or the Sun, and never heard the CD?

3 comments:

  1. My memory is a bit shaky, but I think the association between World Cub football and 'civilised music' dates back to the 1990 when the Three Tenors sang in Rome. It always seemed to me an odd combination of culture and sport, and by the time your dad got his CD it was all but defunct. I do miss Pavarotti, though. He might not have had the best voice of the 'Three' but his wonderful character did so much to popularize his brand of music.

    I'm sorry to hear that Christmas lunch didn't amount to much. Turkey with all the trimmings, followed by Christmas Pudding, await your arrival on Wednesday.

    Hugs,
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lucy

    You need one of those special RV satellite dishes, that permanently mounts to the top of your caravan, and can be aimed at the satellite from inside.

    @ Angie

    Pavarotti not the best voice of the three? He certainly had me fooled. I will miss him forever.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the good food thing.I hope your Christmas wasn't too lonely.Having said that solitude in a beautiful place can be quite cathartic.As to good music,i enjoyed watching the ballet on telly on Chritmas day.Cinderella,with the music by one of my fave composers,Prokofiev.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford