Thursday, 9 December 2010

Christmas preparations!

In small ways I'm beginning to get into the Christmas Festivities.  For instance, I've stocked up on some little individual Christmas Puddings:


And I've got my ceramic Christmas Tree down from the attic and set it up:


I'm taking this Tree with me down to Cornwall over Christmas. In its box, of course. (Although it would be a hoot to whizz along with a brightly lit-up tree in the front window of the caravan!)

Call me an Incurable Romantic, but I'm dreaming of strolling through the quaint streets of places like Padstow and Fowey and Helston and Mousehole as snowflakes drift down, in a mood of high elation, enjoying the bustle of cheery people doing their last minute shopping for geese and little presents for family and friends and neighbours. Traditional music on every corner; the sound of carols in the air; and in the evening, pagan celebrations to see the old year out with fire and incantations and mistletoe. Or wandering through the cobbled alleys of St Ives, encountering artists, street buskers, and fishermen in striped jerseys with their last catch, shivering with the frosty cold and ready for a good yarn and laughter in the packed pub lit up with friendly yellow lights and a flickering log fire with deep red embers to stare into. Easy to recall in those embers many, many happy Christmases of the past. And one hopes many more to come. And sunset at Men-An-Tol, trying hard to get a shot of the setting sun through the hole in the wheel-like ancient stone; or a solemn service in Zennor church; or a stormy vigil at Coverack, a place not visited since my honeymoon in the winter of 1983; or a yachty meal and a cocktail at the pub at Helford Passage. Plus the realities of Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer in Truro as well!

And once back home, seeing the New Year in with style.

Interesting to think that next year, in December 2011, I will (I hope) be well recovered from my operation, and will be physically rather different. Who knows how I will stand then, what my exact self-perception will be, what new things I'll feel capable of doing. My goodness, 2011 will be a year of change with a vengeance! 2010 was only the muted overture.

7 comments:

  1. Lucy! Have you been at those christmas puddings already and how much brandy did you pour over them?

    That description of christmas only occurs in advertisements for unnecessary goods for the masses.

    Having said that, christmas in Normandy in 1981 was almost exactly like that with everyone out shopping in family owned stores after they had had their christmas meal and before going to the christmas evening service in the local church. I have often wondered how much things have changed from what then seemed nostalgic to a Brit.

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And creamed rice - we don't have that here.

    I liked your description of the streets of Cornwall, I didn't even mind the cold.

    Looking forward to reading your Crhismas 2011 post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2010 was my big year for changes. 2011 will be yours! Hope you have a great Christmas, and that your 2011 is the best year EVAR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are all of those Christmas puddings doing in your pantry, young lady? How are you ever going to lose weight?

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Lucy!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lucy
    There is nothing wrong with being called an incurable Romantic!
    I hope Christmas & the new year bring everything you wish for.
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Lucy,you've made me feel very nostalgic and a little tearful as i think back to the cornish christmases of my childhood.We first lived in Cannonstown,a small village on the A30 between Hayle and Penzance,and our cottage was just made for cozy Christmas get togethers with big roaring log fires.Then we moved to Helston and i remember we used to have a mass torchlit carol singing procession through the town,ending up at St Michaels church for soup and mince pies.I loved living in Cornwall so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say,have a wonderful Christmas,Lucy.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford