Saturday, 11 December 2010

Aren't chaps useful?

People who know me will agree that I'm slow to ask for help. I will accept it if I'm tackling something clearly beyond my experience or strength. But if it's just a matter of reaching up for something...

And yet I was defeated at Sainsbury's a couple of days ago. The wine I wanted - two bottles of Merlot at a good price - was up on the top shelf. I could see those bottles, which is more than the short woman next to me could, but I couldn't get my hands near them - I've got rather short arms.

So, without a moment's thought, I went up to a tallish man nearby.

'Oh, excuse me, but could you please help me, and reach for those two bottles of wine up there?'

What a nice chap. He abandoned his own shopping, and set to. Even he had to stretch, but he got both bottles down for me and placed them into my hands.

'Thank you so much!' I said, and gave him a dazzling smile. One of those wonderful moments when you know you've passed 100%. I glowed with inner satisfaction. And top marks to the man, who only got a nice 'thankyou' for his trouble. But it was pleasant being the 'damsel in distress' and I'm guessing that he got a little kick by responding so successfully: mission well accomplished.

5 comments:

  1. A picture of you walking around supermarkets seeking out items from top shelves to fill your trolley. This is going to require some imagination to combine these ingredients into a healthy meal.

    Caroline XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I frequently find myself pressed into service performing this task. In the words of Blokes of Height everywhere: "Just doing my job, Ma'am".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way to do it!

    I usually get accosted by little old ladies who can't reach...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another good reason to leave the high-heels at home when shopping!

    Angie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice....or should I say cheers! xx

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford