Friday, 12 November 2010

I want to sing

My voice therapy sessions with Christella Antoni have now come to an end, at least on a one-to-one basis - I'm still going to attend group sessions now and then. It's a way of measuring oneself against other 'trained' voices - apart from being an excuse to come up to London for the day!

But I haven't finished with Christella. It's not very well known, but she has a talent for singing and we have agreed that in January I will come up to see her and we will explore my potential for singing on my own account in my female voice. And when I say singing, I don't mean bawling out some dreadful karaoke anthem in a pub. I have ambitions - call me deluded if you will - to attempt something operatic. Or at least sing the blues. Or maybe it'll be something from 'Oklahoma!': I'm Just A Girl Who Can't Say No. Whatever, it'll be a new thing in my life. I'm unmusical, but I have always wanted to sing like Callas.

Of course there is the dreadful probability that my scope will be confined to the squeaky voice on the Pam & The Paperclips' 1980 number, Typing Pool. Here it is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFC_TrC5_G0 Mind you, if that's all I can do, it'll still be an accomplishment!

I'm looking forward to getting some practice in at Christmas. And for some reason the Goodies' rousing little singalong hit Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me keeps coming into my head. Also on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsK2C3yNFQI Must be the increased hormone dose!

5 comments:

  1. Singing is something I miss terribly. I've been singing for as long as I can remember. But now, I simply don't want to hear that particular voice, even though it's a tenor. So I am working at changing the sound. You will probably do better with professional help. Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you'll pass on a few tips. My voice has changed over the years. I think I do a pretty good Janis Joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy Melford, diva! I'm looking forward to a youtube video of your first aria.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck - in the early days I told Christella my objective, against which she would be judged,as getting the descent on Hark the Herald Angels - still someway off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful project to take on Lucy! There is no better therapy than making music IMHO.

    It likely will be about extending your chest voice up. Most of us have a pretty good 'falsetto' but it lacks any sort of power.

    I can do a pretty good alto (I'm Canadian so Anne Murray is a big fav.), but I would need a microphone to do in in public. :)

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford