Saturday, 20 November 2010

For those winter nights alone in the caravan

I bought a decent digital TV for the caravan last February, but have not so far used it. Why not? Well, I don't watch much TV anyway, intelligent programmes on art and history and exotic faraway places being my thing, not any of the soaps, nor Strictly Come Dancing, nor I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, nor Dancing On Ice. Nor films. Nor sport of any description. And the news and weather is just as good on Radio 4. And besides, in the summer I want to be out, enjoying the sunset somewhere, or with friends. Or if in the caravan, on my own, there is always the day's crop of photos to process on the laptop. So who really needs television?

However, I'll be away in Cornwall over Christmas, and if the weather's foul I do see that it would be pleasant to have a TV to turn to, while I cook and consume my roast meal for one, add custard to the little Christmas Pudding from Waitrose, and pour out a small glass of Bailey's. Yes, I'll join the crowd on this!

It is customary, on proper caravan sites anyway, to keep your windows uncurtained so that your neighbours on surrounding pitches can view and appreciate your own brand of Christmas cheer. I would in any case have had my merry little ceramic Christmas Tree, with its colourful lights; but now I want to add a TV to indicate that I too am watching something festive and noisy, and having a great time. And not sitting sad and silent in the gloom, like some lonely biddy whom the world has forgot. It'll be a chance to cavort around the caravan in a red dress or long red top decorated with a bit of tinsel. What fun! But I'll keep the wellies handy in case I overload the power circuit and have to go out and reset it at the hook-up box!

So I've stepped up to the line, and invested in the necessary satellite kit - the dish, the tripod, the receiver, the best-reception finder, and all the various cables needed, including a special flat one that you can close a window on. The cost wasn't too much, and for an eight-night stay it will be worth the effort to set it up.

Oh, I dare say I will get an irrepressible urge to walk the frosty, empty late-night streets of Truro or Falmouth, for the sake of some atmospheric lamplit photos, while everyone else is snug in their homes (or caravans) - and not watch TV at all. But there might be something on I'd like to see, you never know...

Mmmm, I love Bailey's.

5 comments:

  1. lol, My motorcaravan still has the original, small analog TV in a console over the front seats and another in the bedroom. I did buy an A/D converter for it so I could watch the weather reports during hurricane season, but that is about all the use it has seen. I am pretty much limited to what I can pick up over the air as there are far to many trees here for satellite reception and my campground is to far out in a rural area to have cable. I can't say that I have really missed it much, though I do enjoy watching the old Christmas specials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie you are missed!

    Lucy, I thought you would have booked into a restaurant or somewhere for a slap up christmas meal without dishes to wash up, I am surprised you want to go it alone.

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you mention Truro. Now there was some TV I was addicted to back when -- the Poldark series.

    Maybe someone will see you making merry, walk over in their wellies, and knock on the door of your caravan. And say, "what's on telly?"

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caroline:
    I like cooking, so a DIY Christmas Day meal is no trouble. Besides, I'd only stuff myself silly in a restaurant, and then where would my diet be?
    @Ariel:
    I too was totally hooked on Poldark! I even bought all the Winston Graham books. We must be a pair of romantics. I loved Demelza and Verity. Not sure which I most resemble, though!

    I confess I AM rather hoping that a neighbouring caravanner extends an invitation!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The south west is a lovely place to be even in winter.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford