Thursday, 7 January 2010

Passport application completed and posted, just before the snow came


I changed my mind about which photo to use for the passport. This shot shows a face devoid of expression - well, I'm a bit pop-eyed, but no matter - and it should pass all tests.

I can't afford to have my application rejected for tiny nit-picking reasons. Much to my consternation, I realised that the only person of standing who had known me for the required minimum two years, as both J--- and Lucy, was my former GP who retired last July. And he was just about to go off with his wife for a two month holiday in the Far East! So there was no seeing him again for a second attempt at the application form. It had to be correct first time.

He was very kind, and phoned me as soon as I emailed him, and actually came to my house to countersign the two sets of photos and forms, because he did my driving licence form too. The driving licence people can check with the passport people that I am who I say I am, but they need a separate signed photo. So once I have my new passport, I'll send the DVLA their form. And then hopefully by mid-February I'll have both a new passport and a new driving licence!

I enclosed a letter from Dr Richard Curtis with my passport application in which he supported the female marker. And I have a similar letter ready for the DVLA from my present GP. Asking for a female marker is a complication that will almost certainly mean delay, and may entail an interview. Well, bring it on!

9 comments:

  1. I have a female marker on my driver's licence, but nowhere else yet. I tried at the Canadian passport office, but the clerk was new, so he went to his boss, and of course she said no. I've heard of it happening at US Social Security offices too, if the clerk is sympathetic, but mine was all business.

    Still, I won't have to wait too much longer.

    Hope your passport and licence come through quickly and with no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the US, it varies from state to state. In Virginia, you can't get a female gender marker on your driver's license, until you have had GRS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good job you don't need these in a hurry.

    Véronique's comment was interesting, it's the same in France for everything. Wimps like me never get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As my ending remark about interviews implies, I'd be prepared to make a big personal, face-to-face effort to get that female marker put in. It'll help that the NHS already has me down as female. Well, we'll see.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you don't live in France like Anji, there they would give you an appointment in a city miles away at an awkward time and tell you to bring ten specific documents and when you present them they will tell you that you forgot to bring something they never asked for or need and the whole pantomime starts again. This is not a joke BTW. been there done that!

    How did you get the passport photo in the end?

    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the passport photo myself.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline. You forgot to mention that any copies of documents you might need have to be dated within three months of each other - or start again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My niece got a free car because of this! Someone was trying to export their French car to their holiday home in France and it lived in the garage for three years as they tried to get the paperwork in order. In the end when they came to lunch and I told them that Sophie was going to come to Scotland to Art college for a year they asked if she would like a car. Silly question.

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The French way of life is generally much admired, especially as regards the finer things of life - gastronomically and intellectually anyway - but the beaurocracy...!

    I do sometimes wonder whether it all stems from the Code Napoleon, or whether it was always thus. Maybe Caesar invaded Gaul primarily to sweep away the frustrating border and trade paperwork and impose something better. Mind you, I understand that present-day Italian red tape is apparently horrendous to deal with!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford