Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Snowy Bristol




Two days ago I arrived in Bristol on dry roads and beautiful sunshine, but overnight it snowed, and because of the cold the white blanket has persisted. But I'm hoping for a clear run when I go home on Thursday. Meanwhile all is fairytale frostiness, rather magical. And provided you keep the heating on, it's snug and cosy in the caravan.

Socially I've done well. I'd barely settled in at Baltic Wharf when Dru Marland phoned and invited me over to her Victorian residence. She lives in a character property, no question, the heart of which is a large kitchen lined with an eclectic collection of Useful Pots full of goodies. During my visit, jars full of damsons and bottles full of damson vodka were particularly prominent on the central table, around which all revolves. Dru was very hospitable, and not only cooked us both penne with a bacon and tomato sauce (very tasty) but plied me with a two huge mugs of tea and a couple of glasses of the damson vodka (smooth and heartwarming). But the main business of the evening was the creation of Damson Chocolate, involving chopped damsons and an incredible amount of melted ('fondant'?) dark chocolate. The precise process is descibed on Dru's own blog. It looked yummy.

Having finished this, Dru suggested a climb up onto her flat roof to see the night sky and the lights of the city. So up we went, using a vertical steel ladder. There was a slight overhang at the top, and then we were up and out and able to admire the view. There were chimneys all around, as in the rooftop scene in 'Mary Poppins', but no Dick Van Dyke cavorting about! It was a good thing that I was mellow from the vodka and that it was dark - I suspect that in daytime the height would be vertigo-inducing! Dru of course is a seasoned hill climber, and intended to spend Christmas Day atop a Welsh peak.

And now today I met my aunt's son R--- in the Pizza Provencale in Clifton. R--- is very pro-Lucy. We had a late lunch and a lot of talk. It was the first time he had seen me in female garb and makeup, and I think I looked pretty good. Also the voice had come on a bit, and I was struck how different it sounded, compared to R---'s own deep voice, and to the voices of the five guys on the table behind him. (They paid no attention to me, by the way, even though I wasn't exactly whispering) R--- and I parted with a kiss on the cheek and hugs. He's a real gentleman, you know.

So let me see: Dee, Louisa and Sue at Salisbury; and Dru and R--- at Bristol. Five friends in a few days. And Brighton friends Alice, Rheya and Meta have kept in touch by text or email. M--- also: she actually phoned me, as did my aunt P---. I haven't felt lonely for an instant. Aren't I lucky to have such people in my life?

10 comments:

  1. You certainly are lucky. I don't like the sound of the overhang at the top of Dru's ladder, but it sounds worth it.

    Hope you have a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds very magical indeed. A wonderful place to visit, good friends and family and snow to top it all off! Have an enjoyable and safe drive back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like you have good friends, and that you enjoyed yourself.

    The vertical ladder to the roof, and especially the overhang at the top, would have been a nonstarter for me!

    Now that you've been there, tell us Lucy. Is it really true, that the kids in Bristol are sharp as a pistol, when they do the Bristol Stomp? ;-)

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bristol Stomp? I'm afraid I've never heard of this, but then I don't know much! In any event, anyone attempting to walk about here in anything other than a slow and very careful fashion is going to fall over - it's very icy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lucy
    You deserve to have all these friends in your life.
    Thinking of you my friend
    Keep warm and happy
    Peace and hugs
    Love
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Lucy

    I guess I'm showing my age, but The Bristol Stomp was a hit song by a group called the Dovells, back in 1961. The Bristol they were referring to, was actually Bristol, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia, but given the universal nature of rock'n'roll, I would have assumed that the kids in Bristol, England would have adopted the song as their own.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well, I was only 9 in 1961 and too young then for such things. I can remember Gene Pitney and Lonnie Donegan but my (slight) interest in music really began only in 1962 when something started to happen on Merseyside.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Well no wonder! I'm so much older than you! LOL!

    Lucy, I was such a big fan of the Mersey sound, when I was going to high school in Frankfurt, Germany, in the early to mid 60's. Do you remember this one? And of course there was Dusty Springfield's version which was even better!

    Take care, and have a Happy Christmas, sweetie!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Lucy, that last link didn't work. Dusty Springfield's version of that song can be heard here.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I do remember Dusty! I loved her songs, and although a bit later on people like Kenny Everett over here on Radio 1 tended to mock her eye-makeup - but then he mocked Bobby Gentry too, calling her Old Trouser Suits - I thought her 'look' was fantsastic and I envied it. I also envied her voice. Yes, could do worse than using her as a model...!

    Thanks for the link.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford