Sunday, 6 December 2009

More on the new shaver: it isn't great for everything

I'm still very happy with the new Remington shaver for my face. It shaves close and is so convenient. But I've begun to see that that it's not a perfect solution for every shaveable part of the body. Under arms were hard work, and the result wasn't as good as a wet shave. Ditto chest. Ditto nether regions. I suspect the same would be true of arms and legs.

I think that foil shavers must work best on the thick bristle-type hair on the face, and don't make much impression on longer, softer, finer, floppier hair elsewhere, which wet shaving can take in its stride.

One odd thing I've noticed is that when shaving my face the shaver leaves a light graphite-coloured deposit on the skin, so that I end up looking as if I've got rampant five o'clock shadow everywhere! This wipes off. But what is it? At first I thought that the coalface bits of the shaving head had been lightly oiled or otherwise lubricated at the factory, and that this would quickly fade. But it hasn't. I now believe that it's a smear of fine 'dust' from the shaved hairs. But not having a microscope handy, I can't take a close look and confirm. As I say, it wipes off, and is no bother, but I don't remenber this happening with any rotary-head or foil shaver in the past. Strange.

1 comment:

  1. I had been using a Norelco, but I was very dissatisfied with the shave I was getting from it. Thanks to your recent blog on your new purchase, I wanted to try a foil shaver, so I went on line to look for the best foil shaver I could find. I settled on a Braun Series 7 Pulsonic. At over $200, it cost more than twice what I paid for my Norelco, but the majority of the reviews claimed it was a stellar choice. I figured you get what you pay for, so I went for it.

    I've only shaved with it three times, and so far I am very impressed with it. I have been able to get shaves comparable to a blade shave, without any of the infernal lacerations. Whenever I wet shaved with a blade, I would end up with several cuts around my chin and mouth, and even though the bleeding appeared to be stopped, I would later notice tiny dark scabs appearing though my foundation. Not very pretty!

    After shaving with the Braun, I too noticed the dark carbon like deposit on my face. I always wipe my face down with Witch Hazel, or toner/clarifying lotion on a cotton ball after shaving, and the cotton ball turned black. I had noticed this before after shaving with my Norelco, but not nearly as bad. I too first thought it might be a oily residue from the shaver's lubricant, but since the Norelco did it as well and it was never lubricated, I figured it was pigment from the shaved hairs, but you may be right about it being a fine dusty residue of shaven hair. Foil shavers seem to shave much closer than rotary shavers, so they probably snip off much tinier pieces of hair, creating a fine powder. The good thing is, it does easily wipe off with a cotton ball soaked in either alcohol, Witch Hazel, or a toner/clarifying lotion.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford