Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Miranda Hart






Now this is an interesting find on TV. Miranda Hart is a 37 year old comedienne who has just completed her first sitcom series on BBC2. She does her own writing, which is impressive. I've caught bits of her show here and there, and then last night I made a point of watching the final episode in full. Now, I'm renowned for having a poor (or at least painfully slow) sense of humour, but I found that episode vastly amusing, and curiously fascinating. It definitely struck a chord with me.

Miranda happens to be 6 foot one inch tall, and has a physique to match. That said, she isn't in any way androgenous. She is clearly an attractive girl handicapped only by a somewhat oversize body, whose largeness she exaggerates a bit by playing alongside an ultra-petite character called Stevie. And although a certain amount of ungainliness is part of the humour (She gets called 'Queen Kong' by her svelte women friends) you notice that they too commit unconscious social gaffes just the same, and tie themselves up into such knots trying to be sophisticated and alluring that, in contrast, Miranda's own artless behaviour seems refreshingly appealing. And despite her insistence that men can't find her attractive, she is a contender with the rest. And not without some hope.

Now consider. Miranda Hart is larger and taller than the average female. She has big limbs. She has to wear big clothes and shoes. And if she can still be feminine, then I think there is something here to look into and emulate. I wouldn't want to put her up as a trans icon, and both personally and careerwise I'm sure this wouldn't be what she'd want either, but I do say this is a woman to watch and learn from. Of course she differs from the typical MTF trans person in some important ways. For example, she already has a pleasant female voice, nice hands, really good skin, no unwanted facial hair, and doesn't need her face reconstructed. But these differences can be be overcome. There are even ways of disguising large hands.

So I say this: don't despair if you are elephantine and at best can only be a matron or an earth mother. You don't have to be a slender whispy little thing. There is still the possibility of a fully-fledged female life in size 20 clothes.

Of course one thing I can't learn from Miranda is a great sense of humour; but I can laugh that off.

7 comments:

  1. A friend of mine loves this programme. I have never seen it myself, but I'll look out for it when it's repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed watching the whole series; I wrote up a little about the first episode on my blog. There's a bit of a story line about Miranda getting mistaken for a transvestite... I found some time after when looking at search terms for the blog, that someone had got there by entering the words "Miranda transsexual"... there's always someone hoping to 'find out' about anyone who doesn't conform exactly to stereotype...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Karen:
    On her website (http://www.mirandahart.com/) Miranda reveals that the Beeb have agreed to a second series next year, and in any case you can see the last episode again at 10.00pm tonight, or maybe on iPlayer.

    @Dru:
    She makes a refreshing change, doesn't she? I can imagine myself, if twenty years younger, making strenuous efforts to use her as a viable role model. Pity about that search item...let's hope she didn't find out about it, or if she did, that it didn't upset her.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she's great. I heard her interviewed and she talked about trying to do something that was both fresh but also looked back to some of her comedy heroes of the 1970s (the talking to the camera thing), and others like Joyce Grenfell.

    The first episode, in which she was mistaken for a man/tranny, was very funny, because she did it entirely without that 'sneering' edge which most comedy uses if it tries the subject. She just did the ingenue thing that she does really well. And she said in the interview that she hsd been taken for a man in real life now and then ;-)

    I'm looking forward to the second series a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the first episode and liked it very much then proceeded to miss the next two but caught one more before this first series ended. I also thought she was hilarious as that cleaning lady in the other sitcom (name escapes me just now)anyhow like the rest of us I will enjoy looking out for the second series.

    My problem is since we got sky TV I'm all over the place with all these channels. After waiting so many years to get sattelite I now find I hardly watch the old 4 channels. BBC 1 and 2 cant be beat for their quality productions but I miss more than I catch these days and I feel I have years of movies to catch up on so I love watching films at the moment.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has been around for a few years appearing in other peoples shows, glad she has found her own vehicle and anything which gives a nod to the end credits of Allo allo and other Croft / Perry sitcoms can't be all bad.
    The series is still on the iplayer for a few more days if anyone hasn't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is she Transgender, not that I care one way or another but I have lost a beautiful boy...not my son and it was devestating to his family. Praying for respect and love for anyone society disrespects because they are 'different' bless them all xx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford