Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Kindness and good wishes from the Police and Coroner

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I'd locked myself out of my car, and couldn't find the spare car key that should have been handy. I still haven't found it. I'm not casual with keys. I always know exactly where they are. I must have done something untypical and highly unusual with this particular key, but I'm morally certain that I haven't forever lost it. It's just remembering what I might have done with it!

In my searches around the house, it struck me once again that I'd never yet come across Dad's driving licence or credit cards, nor a set of missing keys that the emergency people must have used to get in on the night he died back in May. So I decided to visit the local Police Station at Burgess Hill, just in case all these things were inside a plastic bag in a storeroom. I saw a nice woman officer who looked up the incident on the computer and found that, sure enough, a bag of items had been put to store at the Haywards Heath Police Station. She gave me their number and directions, and said she'd get the Coroner's Office to speak to me first. A nice man from that office phoned me back. That done, I then called by at Hayward's Heath Police Station for an interview with a very pleasant and sympathetic male officer. I sorted out my ID, signed for Dad's effects, and chatted for a short while about how things presently stood with me, with both parents gone.

Now bear in mind that I was all the time in female clothing, and trying to speak in a much higher-pitched voice than I'm used to doing. Despite these things, I was taken very seriously, and served promptly and well. The three police officers I spoke to at both Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath could not have been kinder, the same for the male Coroner's Officer. All of them gave me their personal best wishes. I was surprised but delighted at this reception. Either I happened to encounter four different law officers, one after another, who were naturally the epitome of humanity and tolerance, or else transgender training within the Sussex Police Force is very good indeed. In any event, what could have been an ordeal was instead something uplifting.

And it was nice to finally know what had become of those keys, and those missing cards. A little bit of closure.

5 comments:

  1. From across the water I often only hear very negative stories about the British police. The ones you met do sound very nice. I think I’ve said before that I have the impression you know how to bring out the best in people. It’s good that you feel this has helped you to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most cops are nice folk, Lucy... I have know many over the years.

    As is usual with ANY group of people, it's the few bad ones that get the negative reports that we read about.

    Hugs
    chrissie
    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Chrissie is right.
    It's good to hear that it wasn't an ordeal but a positive exprience for what must have been extremely hard for you.
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The police in my area are firm but friendly. We had carols round the tree in the village a few days ago. An unexpectedly large crown blocked the road for almost an hour, but the police were marvellous, even joining in the carols and cheering Santa.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford