Monday, 7 December 2009

Boy George at the Wild Fruit Red Party






Boy George was billed for the Brighton party yesterday evening, and we found him doing a polished DJ turn in one of the dance areas at the Oceana. That's him in the pink hat. He was very accessable, with only a low perspex wall to hide behind. It was adequate; he wasn't beseiged by paparazzi-style attention. But there was a constant retinue of fans wanting a shot or two. As you can see, I got in on the act as well. How silly.

Boy George has had a poor press on the whole since the 1980s. You can't overlook the heroin addiction, nor the odd erratic misdemeanour, but sadly the press does make matters seem worse. I have to say that on the night he was professional, relaxed, good-humoured and entirely inoffensive.

The little Leica struggled a bit in the very low lighting. I should have taken the Nikon.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (What I was trying to say above was...) oooh I am feeling a bit star struck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blitz Kids got a reputation as a sort of "doomed" bunch...

    George was nice enough but could be very bitchy, and I wouldn't trust him with my handbag back then, either...

    By the time I started going there, and then later at the Camdan Palace and Heaven, he and several of the others were already on heroin.

    There was a lot of drug-taking in the clubs back then (mostly E) But George and Steve and a few others took it to extremes.

    I have not seen him in the flesh for many, many years now, and it's nice to see that he can still entertain and still be professional.

    I do have a soft spot for Culture Club, and some of their tracks were really good..

    Anmd he had a great voice that just got better as he got older, drugs or not.

    Nice little blast from the past there, Lucy. Thanks for posting it...

    love
    chrissie
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to get more of the Wild Fruit Red Party he was DJing for, there's more pix under 'Sussex' on my Flickr site.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Culture Club, and thought Boy George was so brave! Even young girls were emulating his style! I wanted so much for him to transition. What a boost that would have been for everyone who was Trans at the time, but instead, he descended into a snake pit of drugs and irrational behavior. Nice to see he's out of the hoosegow, and back to leading a productive life. I would love to have talked to him. Did you get a chance to chat with him, Lucy?

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Melissa:
    No, I'm afraid I didn't. He was very engrossed in what he was doing, but in any case the noise was very loud and I'd made myself hoarse already!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford