Sunday, 15 November 2009

Girls' Night Out




Here I am, last night, in a Lanes restaurant in Brighton. I select turbot from a delightful menu while my friend R--- grabs a few shots with my Leica. We end up chatting to the very pleasant couple on the next table, who say they always eat here when down from Buckinghamshire. We think the male half could be an MP from some constituency in the Chilterns, though he makes out he's an accountant. I mention a few places I know in that area. R---, being a Channel Islands girl, is not so familiar with the locality, but even so we share plenty of topics with them and it enhances an already very good evening. R--- has cheese and biscuits for dessert; I have their very special bread-and-butter pudding that actually looks like a cube of sultana-rich wedding cake amid a scattering of almonds. One bottle of wine sees us through.

We'd already been to the Charles Street club, where our miniskirts and boots seem to go down well, and a nice gay guy called Chris asks me who I am. Now we go on to the Suga Qube for cocktails (two Singapore Slings) and this time it's R--- who attracts the attention. The group of lads she's talking to are making the most of the two-for-the-price-of-one deals, as a necessary preliminary to one of the clubs where they can really start to party. The Slings seem to pack plenty of punch, no question, so we decline another and make our way back to Charles Street, to be greeted by several people that R--- knows. Well, she's a very outgoing, friendly girl. And so are they. And I'm not so cool and distant either. However in my impetuosity I manage to knock over R---'s drink while saying hello to a trans person called Maxine. It goes everywhere. Mega embarrassment. Never mind. It's been a great evening.

2 comments:

  1. I'll raise a glass to you, Lucy. You look wonderful.

    You're never too old for a mini-skirt and boots {giggle}. Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just feel so bad for that drink. How could you, Lucy?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford