Thursday, 5 November 2009

Email from Dr Alice Roberts in reply to mine

I got a very quick response from Alice Roberts this morning, which was that her own area of research was quite different, and that the best approach would be to start with the clinicians who have been looking after me, particularly if there was an endocrinologist I could talk to. I sent this acknowledgement:

Dear Alice

Thank you for your very rapid response. I'm sorry to have taken up your time. It's the price of being a well-known personality of course!

Although I have my own long-term health concerns here, I am to some extent raising the topic of research on behalf of the trans community at large. Nobody knows exactly how many trans people have been prescribed hormones (or have obtained them from Internet sources) but the number must come to several thousand in the UK alone, and the matter of what the consequences might be is clearly important to anyone affected.

Perhaps someone will pick up this particular ball and run with it, or if they don't, then I will. There are, I'm sure, many other trans people who are intensely interested in medical issues. I don't know who they are, but one of my co-bloggers might, and some networking could lead to someone either championing a further enquiry, or disseminating whatever facts they have learned so far.

Meanwhile, thank you again.

With best wishes, Lucy Melford



Do we have any medical gurus among us? Or does anyone know of somebody who has their finger on the pulse of trans health research?

1 comment:

  1. I imagine a teaching hospital would be a good place to start

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford