Sunday, 4 October 2009

Shop windows






I've long been fascinated by shop window displays, especially the imaginative use of dummies and other props. And there was plenty to see in Tunbridge Wells yesterday. Once it got dark, conditions were excellent for some fashion shots. The top four were in Hooper's window, and I think the person responsible has done really well. I like the way the dummies seem to have an inner life, caught in frozen conversation with each other. The last picture of a shop window further up the hill shows a display that doesn't quite cut it. The basic idea is great - tumbling playing cards representing falling autumn leaves - but the eye is caught by the oversized cards, and not by the clothes. A shame. Different lighting would have focussed attention on the right things.

Have to say, I can snap away as Lucy with a freedom denied to my old male self. A bloke shooting female dummies in shop windows? Dodgy! (It's all right, officer. I'm a tranny, not a man. That's all right then, madam)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford