Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Poem for the Day - Forever in My Mind

Here's one from September 1972. Background: Still young and callow and fresh from school, I used to spend my lunchtimes with a sophisticated older female work colleague I had a crush on called Janet. She was inclined to be cynical and impatient of idiocy, but she seemed to enjoy my doglike company. And at the time I found her impressive and fascinating. At length I grew out of it and began to acquire some perspective.

FOREVER IN MY MIND

Forever in my mind you will be;
Lost in the years to come,
But not to me.

A shadow flickers of your smile;
And I'll remember and reminisce
Upon the kiss that never came.
I see them now, those days I spent
In dim-lit rooms;
And walking in the winter sun,
Like lion and Lioness.
How we mocked the passers-by
And laughed, yes Janet, you and I.

I still linger in gloomy bars
Mellowing with the clock
And smiling at time as I always did.
I shall not forget.


No, I haven't forgotten. Wonder where she is now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford