Thursday, 1 October 2009

Poem for the day - Dumb Delilah

Here's a poem I wrote in October 1972, when aged 20. (I was a very young and immature 20, by the way. Not much change there!)

DUMB DELILAH

Did she copy Daddy's fearless
Warm embrace in search of nearness?
Did she smile with princess grace
At each beau's coarse schoolboy face?
Was she ever not entranced,
Enraptured in her pearly pants,
If once they spoke of gay Romance?

In her mind of fourteen years
There were never twinkling tears:
In happiness she swooned so sad,
Content to wait for Galahad.
While breasty, leggy girls entwined,
She, flat-chested, didn't mind;
But dreamt all day of Chivalry,
Away from lipstick rivalry.
Far away inside her head -
Too far from what the teacher said.
Dumb Delilah was her name
To all her Allan Quatermains.

And at night she dropped her glasses,
Shed her clothes, made mystic passes,
Nakedly, for Him alone:
Her Paladin, her lover lone.
Clasping to her virgin body
The dullard of the class, young Roddy,
Who, like her, sat silently
And yearned for tender mysteries.

Don't ask me whether I'm the teenage girl in the poem - I don't know. And I went to a single-sex school, by the way. But I was certainly a classroom dreamer!

1 comment:

  1. Lucy, that is just a beautiful poem! Oh! How I long days, of our sweet youthful innocence! Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford