Thursday, 15 October 2009

My favourite places - Durdle Door in Dorset





Durdle Door (the natural rock arch caused by wave erosion on different but adjacent types of rock hereabouts) is an iconic feature of the Dorset coast, and it's terribly well-known. But as it's one of my favourite places, here it is.

The bottom photo was taken from Bat's Head, a mile to the west, and that's another Durdle Door in the making, but at a very early stage. At the moment it's mainly a plain cliff, but the sea has cut a small hole through it and it's just a matter of time. Sobering to think that in the ten or so millenia it may take, we (that is, all of mankind probably) may disappear from the Earth. Pity. The cameras of 12009 might have been pretty damn good, and I'd have got a perfect shot.

2 comments:

  1. So cool, Lucy..!!!

    love
    chrissie
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great pictures Lucy! Is it just me, or do those arch formations look like dragons, bending down for a drink, to every one?

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford