Sunday, 4 October 2009

My favourite moment from LOTR 3 (The Return of the King)





Brave, womanly Eowyn! Having defied her uncle Theoden and ridden with the rest to the seige of beleagered Minas Tirith, she now defies the Leader of the Nazgul himself, but is beaten to the ground by a smashing blow from his mace. Her shield arm is broken. He towers over her, saying that no man can kill him. Undaunted, and ready to die to defend her stricken uncle, she pulls off her helmet and cries, 'I AM NO MAN!' and with that thrusts her sword into his face. I've always been moved to tears by this moment.

Second favourite is not long before, when Theoden, fully aware that he and all his men will ride to their doom against a vastly more numerous force, forms up his cavalry on the skyline and then leads them down to meet the enemy. He shouts 'Death!', a cry that they all take up and repeat as horns blast and the music surges. More tears. I can't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford