Sunday, 4 October 2009

Lumberjacks and mounties


And now for something completely different. Not really, it's the same old topic!

No, this isn't a typical scene of Canadian life (at least I hope not).

It is of course from the famous Monty Python film. This sketch ('I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...') may be just a send-up of Canadian manly outdoor pursuits, but to modern eyes the cross-gender content shrieks at you. After all, it's about a man wanting to be a girl, including hanging around in bars. Gosh, I do that.

At the time (1971) it was generally thought pretty amusing. Should we take offence? Well, it clearly wasn't performed with any modern transsexual in mind. Nor was the tone cruel or vicious. And it was fully in keeping with the Python team's propensity to lampoon everything (especially army officers, senior policemen, and upper class types).

Still, it isn't exactly something you'd use for a 'Let's understand transsexuality' social education programme.

What do you think? Is it still a (fairly) harmless chuckle? Or is it painful and embarrassing? Or even outrageous? Or even down in the same pit as the modern tabloid press?

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved Monty Python, and I especially adore Michael Palin. I'm not normally a huge fan of the transgendered being made the brunt of jokes, but I still smile every time I hear the Lumberjack Song! I guess it takes a group as talented as Monty Python, to pull it off without coming off as offensive.

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not offensive.

    I always loved their Military Fairy sketch, too.

    "SKER-WAD!. Camp It.. UP!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5Dfs7jqFI

    love
    chrissie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know some who use the lyrics as a email / forum signature. I believe it was written because they had no idea how to end the barbershop sketch which preceded it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford