Thursday, 8 October 2009

A lovely amber brooch




I now have two or three jackets that would benefit from having a brooch pinned to them, and I've been looking for a yellowish brooch. Amber was the answer, and I bought this one today from Silver Scene in the Lanes of Brighton. I was told the amber came from Poland, which makes sense because I learned from a lecture about amber jewellery on the cruise last April that in Europe the prime source of amber is the Baltic. The amber in my new brooch contains what looks like seeds and vegetable matter, but no dead flies. That's fine by me. I'd rather not have some nasty black mosquito-like carcass spoiling the effect. For some strange reason, dead insects vastly increase the price.

I hope the photos reveal something of the golden glow this brooch possesses when sunlight falls on it.

2 comments:

  1. Of course the ones with insects are pricier. What could be cooler, than a Pleistocene mosquito, forever entombed in a piece of amber?

    Melissa XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but a fly in your soup or ointment is such a bad thing!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford