Saturday, 17 October 2009

Any sign of the duck, Fawlty?




Last Wednesday I drove over to see Debbie K and pick up the artworks I bought at the end of August at the exhibition, which she had been kindly looking after for me. Altogether there were six items: two cheetah paintings (one of which was Debbie's cheetah cub picture); a drawing of two zebras; two figurines of hares; and a carved wooden mallard duck, painted and life-sized. Too many items to illustrate in one posting. I asked them all who wanted to be written up first. The cheetahs said no, they had to go and hunt. The zebras galloped off, spooked by the scent of the cheetahs. The hares ran to and fro and boxed: they're mad. The duck quacked her head off to attract my attention. So the duck had her way. Duck's on.

This is a work by a lady called Maggie Port, and I think you will agree that it's been very skilfully executed. The duck's VERY lifelike! Uncanny. I don't as a rule stipulate that an artwork should be true to life down to every last detail, but one of the fascinations with this piece is the extraordinarily good rendition, down to individual feather barbs. She'd fool a real drake, no question!

4 comments:

  1. You know I went round this exhibition too looking at things, and saying to Debbie, "That's lovely. How much is that?! And she said to practically everything I liked "I'm afraid Lucy has bought that!".

    Amongst these things was this lovely duck. He really is a beauty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Josephine! But I don't ever 'think about' things. I leap in and do, in this case clean the place out of everything affordable! I saw many people eyeing that duck, and had to murder or maim half of Hampshire in order to secure her. But had we been rivals, I'd have asked Debbie to adjudicate. Or even the artist, Ms Port. I'm really very, very reasonable!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a very fine bat there too ;-) I nearly bought him...bit managed to contain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so pleased you both enjoyed the exhibition. It was an absolute joy to spend some time with you both, in one of my most favourite of places. My natural habitat, my batty, completely quackers world.
    A world thats all the richer for having you both part of it.

    (((((((Endless hugs)))))))
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete

You must be registered with a proper blogging platform if you wish to make a comment. I have had to deny access to completely anonymous commentators.

This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford